Visiting Lancaster County - Pennsylvania Dutch Country

I was surprised to come across this listing in Washingtonian,

Lititz, Pennsylvania 

How to improve on a choreographed-to-music fireworks extravaganza? Light up a creek flowing below the pyrotechnics with 5,000-plus candles. This Lancaster County borough’s “Fairyland of Candles”—borrowed from a Moravian Christmas tradition—has been a staple of Independence Day here since 1843. Arrive July 3 for the 6:30 pm parade, live entertainment, and dance party in Lititz Springs Park. Stay for the July 4 celebration, with concerts, a parade of infants and tots, and the Queen of the Candles Pageant.

Distance from DC: Three hours; lititz4thofjuly.com.
Distance from Philadelphia: Two hours

It's a bit of a haul, but Lititz is a charming getaway from the District. There are two wonderful places I  may suggest checking in for the long holiday weekend. General Sutter Inn is at the top of my rec's conveniently located on Main St Lititz. The other would be Hotel Rock Lititz. The latter is a short drive away from downtown Lititz, but provides a lively place to stay.  As far as food and bev rec's , one should not miss visiting restaurant and taproom at Rooster St Butcher, and afterwards walk down the street to try Stoll & Wolfe Distillery. PA is infamous for their factory tours, and Julius Sturgis Pretzel  does not disappoint. This place is known to be the first commercial pretzel bakery in America.   Main St Lititz is dotted with several locally operated businesses ranging from book stores, tea shop, sweets shop, candy stores, as well as vintage stops. There is something for just about everyone to enjoy while visiting Lititz.

Lititz is the gem of Lancaster County. My sister-in-law grew up there and I spent many memorable times there. The Wilbur Chocolate retail store is right in the middle of town -- Wilbur Chocolate was made there before Cargill bought them. The Lititz arts and craft show in August is well attended by local artists and craftsmen. The town is as quaint as it gets. I would consider retiring there if the road to Lancaster wasn't a horrible one-lane mess known as Rt 501.

11 minutes ago, saf said:

Are you sure you want that? Having read what they do when they come here....

It appears that that the Lancaster City Alliance has been hosting several from the NY Times since this past winter. Several tour companies throughout the city are ramping up their businesses in the hopes that they will garner some attention. There are some serious dollars invested in attracting the business of travelers. Whether I want it or not, is not the question. It may be happening regardless.  

• Like 1

The Best Cheese Shop in Lancaster, Pa. Mandros Imports is a slice of heaven filled with all kinds of goodness not limited to just great cheeses and meats. They have aisles packed with all kinds of products like oils and vinegar, pastas, as well as  other imported foods. When you walk into this shop, you are transported to an era of yesteryear. 10/10 would stop here to pick up cheeses and meats. 

I am going to start listing great spots to explore, in this thread. I will continue to post place to eat  here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2019 at 5:04 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

It appears that that the Lancaster City Alliance has been hosting several from the NY Times since this past winter. Several tour companies throughout the city are ramping up their businesses in the hopes that they will garner some attention. There are some serious dollars invested in attracting the business of travelers. Whether I want it or not, is not the question. It may be happening regardless.  

Lancaster, Pa lands in the food section of the NY Times!! 

• Like 1

Amish & Refugee Meal Experience to take place this Saturday, 11/2.

A few months ago I highlighted a bit about Lokal  Tour company. They are on course to change the landscape of what to expect for tours in Lancaster County.  Unless you have been hiding under a rock, everyone is well aware of the state of immigration in this country currently is. This event may provide an opportunity to learn first hand what challenges immigrants face, and to hear their stories. I am gonna try to make this one, and report back what my take away is.

On 7/23/2019 at 10:52 AM, curiouskitkatt said:

The Best Cheese Shop in Lancaster, Pa. Mandros Imports is a slice of heaven filled with all kinds of goodness not limited to just great cheeses and meats. They have aisles packed with all kinds of products like oils and vinegar, pastas, as well as  other imported foods. When you walk into this shop, you are transported to an era of yesteryear. 10/10 would stop here to pick up cheeses and meats. 

I am going to start listing great spots to explore, in this thread. I will continue to post place to eat  here.

I knew Simon Mandros -- his son runs it now, and I watched him grow up. I was at Franklin and Marshall in the mid-70s and lived in an apartment around the corner on Charlotte St. Simon was my landlord, and my grocer. Just a block and a half away was the West End market, where I got the rest of my provisions some 40 years ago.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:13 PM, curiouskitkatt said:

Amish & Refugee Meal Experience to take place this Saturday, 11/2.

A few months ago I highlighted a bit about Lokal  Tour company. They are on course to change the landscape of what to expect for tours in Lancaster County.  Unless you have been hiding under a rock, everyone is well aware of the state of immigration in this country currently is. This event may provide an opportunity to learn first hand what challenges immigrants face, and to hear their stories. I am gonna try to make this one, and report back what my take away is.

Amish share meal with refugees, bridging gap between cultures, Jason Nark for the inquirer.com