dr.com "Cooking the Books" Club - a Cookbook Cooking Club

curiouskitkatt

On 2/26/2020 at 8:33 AM, curls said:

Sorry, no experience with this kind of bookclub but it sounds interesting. How are you structuring yours? Does everyone cook one recipe from the book and bring it to bookclub?

I have attended couple that were hosted by a library in Philly, and that is exactly how it works. There was a sign up sheet, and participants listed what they would be preparing from a book that was selected. Its was a great deal of fun, and created traffic for the library. 

The vision I have for the book club I will be hosting will be a bit less structured. The local libraries in York do not have multiple copies of popular cookbooks, so I may set a theme for the cookbook party that may end up up being a general cooking club with inspirations from cookbooks. 

On 2/26/2020 at 9:29 AM, Ericandblueboy said:

It would be better if each person picks a dish and bring the ingredients.  Everyone then cook and eat at the meeting.  Maybe not feasible depending on Kitchen size and dishes. 

This could be an option, if participants are open to hosting and don't mind a bunch of strangers in their kitchen. 

I will pitch this out to my group of participants. Thanks for the suggestion. I think a "chopped" theme would be fun, or just come together to learn a recipe would be great as well. 

On 2/26/2020 at 4:03 PM, ktmoomau said:

Friends and I have talked about doing this, but have never actually managed it- let us know how you all do it, and how it turns out.

I will follow up with updates for sure!

One thing I found rather surprising, and kinda excited about, is that a local business was very excited to host my cooking club. Not sure if any of you are familiar with Ploughman Cider, but they recently opened a taproom in downtown Gettysburg. They have cider on tap, and also offer sale of bottles, and weekly host musicians. There is no food service at the taproom, so Im not sure how the rules of having a potluck at a taproom will work out, but Im willing to see how it all plays out.  I have no idea what is in store, but I know these outings will be fun, and convivial, and that is what my goal is.  

• Like 2