Voting for Elections on the Internet

DonRocks

For all the things that have been going on, I've never seen or heard this topic brought up.

If people can make $10,000 transactions online with a few clicks, then why can't they vote in elections, including national elections, online?

Why aren't people talking about this, especially now that they're essentially quarantined?

There needs to be a strong push to get a standard, nation-wide system of internet voting in place, so it's the same for local elections as it is for national elections. 

I suspect there are some forces in existence that wouldn't want such a system, but it would maximize voter participation.

Americans should be able to vote without leaving their house.

41 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I suspect there are some forces in existence that wouldn't want such a system, but it would maximize voter participation.

There are some forces in existence that wouldn't want such a system BECAUSE it would maximize voter participation.

Thanks, I did this today.

One thing that confused me. You could ask for a ballot for the presidential primary AND the presidential general election. I was about to ask for both then reconsidered and asked for only the primary ballot.

What do they do? Put you on a mailing list for the general election in November? The site didn't make that clear so I asked for just the primary ballot.

On 3/25/2020 at 6:59 PM, MC Horoscope said:

You could ask for a ballot for the presidential primary AND the presidential general election.

Assuming there's going to be a presidential general election. I don't suppose I've said this here, but I've been saying it loudly elsewhere: There will be an "emergency postponement" of the November elections, don't think there won't be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve R. said:

Yep.  Been saying this too.

The constitution says that only the congress can set or move election dates. Then the president leaves office noon January 20. If there is no elected president at that time, the succession act would be followed and the speaker would be president. If there were no election, this would be Nancy Pelosi.

I am on the side that the Joint Chiefs would enfocre this rather than let a dictatorship take over. They certainly are no fan of POTUS. Thee military has a much more robust pandemic response than does the administration, they have been loathe to enforce the anti LGBTQIA* edicts of POTUS. Any order given by POTUS after January 20 at noon wold be an unconstitutional order. 

At least that is my hope. On the other hand if we are in a second wave with hundreds of thousands dead, I think the election will go on by working out a pardon for POTUS agreement. I would be tickled pink to give POTUS a full pardon and then let the new administration institute a truth and reconciliation process to find out what really happened. POTUS could not refuse to testify via the 5th and failing to testify to congress is a jailable offence under contempt statutes.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 11:17 AM, DonRocks said:

For all the things that have been going on, I've never seen or heard this topic brought up.

If people can make $10,000 transactions online with a few clicks, then why can't they vote in elections, including national elections, online?

Why aren't people talking about this, especially now that they're essentially quarantined?

There needs to be a strong push to get a standard, nation-wide system of internet voting in place, so it's the same for local elections as it is for national elections. 

Americans should be able to vote without leaving their house.

You all remember twenty-five years from now that I was advocating for internet voting early on because it's going to happen.

"If We Want Results on Election Night, This Is a Reform Both Parties Should Support" on washingtonpost.com

PS - The reason I'm not mega-rich is because I invested in electric motors (twenty-five years ago).