Vaccinations in Arlington County, as of Sat, 12/23/2021

DonRocks

Here is up-to-the-minute information regarding vaccines in Arlington County.

A member here is living overseas, and has two elderly parents (90 and 81) living in Arlington. I was going to take them to get their vaccines, but did some research first - here's what I found:

At Walter Reed Community Center, they were giving vaccinations (with long lines) 1-2 weeks ago. I just went there and asked how to go about doing this, and a kindly, older gentleman at the front desk gave me a very long, non-answer. The upshot is that "they" (perhaps the Community Center, perhaps the entire county) are out of vaccinations, but some are "coming in on an airplane." He could not and would not furnish any more information that that, other than to say that as of this moment, unless you already have an appointment, you cannot get a vaccine, and they're not taking any type of wait list.

The gentleman went in the back (*), and returned with a slip of paper that says:

For reservations: 703-717-7100

www.virginiahospitalcenter.com/covidvaccine-schedule [<-- This link has the information you need to know.]

For confirmation:

myvhchelp@virginiahospitalcenter.com

I called the reservations number, and got a recording which strongly implied that Arlington County has sent out "cancellations" to people who already had appointments (because they ran out of vaccine), and said that those people would be contacted. You can dial the number and listen to the message yourself.

The first website up above has the information you need. I'm of the opinion that right now, everything is up in the air, and when vaccines arrive, there will be something of an elbowing contest in order to get one.

That's all the information I could find, but if people want me to, I'll be happy to monitor the situation, and update this thread as more becomes available.

Cheers,
Rocks

(*) When the elderly gentleman was in the back, a younger, somewhat prickish man (bald, beard, glasses), came up to me and said, "Can I help you?" I said thanks, but I was already being helped. He continued: "By who?" I said by the man working the front desk, who has gone back to get me some information about vaccinations. When the desk worker came back (and handed me the piece of paper), the younger man said to him, curtly, 'From now on, you don't let anyone past this point,' without a please, a thank you, or any deference to the kindly man's age - I understand that I only caught a small glimpse of this exchange, but the optics were not great.

---

This article was updated at 8:05 PM last night, and is germane to this issue:

"Virginia Hospital Center To Administer Vaccines under New Agreement with County" by Matt Blitz on arlnow.com

Screenshot 2021-01-23 at 12.54.42.png

• Like 2

More details here

https://www.arlnow.com/2021/01/22/virginia-hospital-center-to-administer-more-vaccines-under-new-agreement-with-county/

and Arlington County official release 

https://newsroom.arlingtonva.us/release/vhc-hospital-vaccine-appointments-canceled/

you want to pre register your people here

https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/vaccines/registration/

I did it for at risk under 65 on about the 12 and nothing yet  

• Like 1

If you're living in Arlington Country, and are getting a vaccine, you're going to be amazed at how well-organized the process is.

I had my first (Moderna) a couple days ago, and there must have been 100 people working at the community center - it's as well-organized as any guided tour I've ever taken. 

Thank you to all the workers, paid and volunteer - they could not have been any better. I mean that literally: There wasn't one thing I can think of that could have make the process any easier unless they sent a limousine to my doorstep.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2021 at 12:24 PM, DonRocks said:

If you're living in Arlington Country, and are getting a vaccine, you're going to be amazed at how well-organized the process is.

I had my first (Moderna) a couple days ago, and there must have been 100 people working at the community center - it's as well-organized as any guided tour I've ever taken. 

Thank you to all the workers, paid and volunteer - they could not have been any better. I mean that literally: There wasn't one thing I can think of that could have make the process any easier unless they sent a limousine to my doorstep.

Great to hear Don. Both of my parents have gotten their vaccines and definitely feels like a relief in terms of being concerned they might get it. 

Hopefully, everyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get one by May and perhaps the summer will return to a sense of normalcy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I got my second Moderna vaccine five hours ago. 🙂

PS - Take a picture of your vaccine card as soon as it's completed.

Congrats - hope that you have minimal after vaccination effects - and if you do get a fever or chills, stay on top of it with tylenol, etc - I definitely prolonged some agony by not doing so...and also had Moderna.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DonRocks said:

I got my second Moderna vaccine five hours ago. 🙂

YAY! More shots in more arms!

I will be fully vaccinated as of Friday (had the second pfizer shot 3/26). The boy had his second last Saturday. I am so excited. My parents are both fully vaccinated. My mother in law is about to be. We might get to see our parents soon!

• Like 4