DR December 2023 Meetup

Pat

Meetup in Alexandria in December  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a DR meetup at Josephine in Old Town?

• Yes
    • No, but possible interest in meeting somewhere else in the region
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/31/2023 at 04:59 AM

There aren't many of us left, but with the recent passings of Joe Willey and Joe Heflin, maybe it's a time to try to gather together again.

If people are interested, I'll look for a place. Somewhere in DC near a metro station seems like the safest bet. If anyone has a connection to a particular place, speak up here or via DM. My December is more or less open.

On 11/27/2023 at 7:25 PM, Pat said:

There aren't many of us left, but with the recent passings of Joe Willey and Joe Heflin, maybe it's a time to try to gather together again.

So sorry to hear of these passings, & I would enjoy the opportunity to attend. 
If scheduling fits, I will make an effort to attend the festivities.

On 11/28/2023 at 2:31 PM, Escoffier said:

What (and where) do you have in mind?  If you'd like to venture to Alexandria, I'm sure a visit to Josephine might be gustatorily satisfying. 

I posted without really planning anything in my head, so I had nothing particular in mind. Vaguely, I was thinking of a late afternoon happy hourish thing accompanied by or followed by some sort of food. I thought I'd see what people wanted to do and gauge how how many people wanted to meet up and where would be convenient.

Josephine looks interesting, and it's part of Neighborhood Restaurant Group. NRG was really a stalwart for us during the pandemic, so I'm happy to continue to support them.

The main thing seems to be accessibility for people who might want to attend. Josephine is probably fairly close to King Street metro, which is a plus. Their minimum for a private party is 12.

Another thing that occurs to me is maybe arranging something at NRG's food hall, The Roost. It's opposite Potomac Avenue metro. Their minimum for a private event is 20 people, a number we could hit easily back in the day but could have trouble with now. It can also be loud. They have a variety of food and drink, though, which could be fun for a group.

It's not necessary to reserve a special space if there aren't many of us and we can just work it out with we've got. As time goes by, reserving is going to get more difficult with the holidays. (Should have thought this through!)

I'm not sure if adding a poll to this does much good, but getting any kind of a number for people will narrow things down, so I might do that.

23 hours ago, Pat said:

IJosephine looks interesting, and it's part of Neighborhood Restaurant Group. NRG was really a stalwart for us during the pandemic, so I'm happy to continue to support them.  

The main thing seems to be accessibility for people who might want to attend. Josephine is probably fairly close to King Street metro, which is a plus. Their minimum for a private party is 12.

I'm sure that I could arrange a drinks/dinner thing there with no problem (ask my wallet :D ).  I'm well acquainted with the management staff so I'm sure I could arrange or help arrange some sort of event.  As this is the space once occupied by Columbia Firehouse, they have a fairly largish bar area and three floors of dining space.  A party of 12 should be manageable but if smaller, I don't foresee that presenting a problem.  

As to location, you're correct, King Street Metro is close and the Alexandria Trolley runs up King Street fairly regularly and as a bonus, is free.  They have a stop at King and St. Asaph St.  so it's about a 1 minute walk to Josephine.

Why not go ahead and do a poll, it may just pique interest in (re) starting all of those DR event we used to attend.

• Like 1

Well, it's a new year, so maybe we could try again. I hope you're feeling better!

I'm probably not the best person to plan something but we could do Alexandria and we could do Capitol Hill. If we can get 5 or 6, let's do it.

If The Roost is the choice, we could just commandeer one of the tables in the back at Shelter, the bar area.  The tables hold 8 people I think.

Whoops.......I totally missed the poll.  😬

2 hours ago, Bart said:

If The Roost is the choice, we could just commandeer one of the tables in the back at Shelter, the bar area.  The tables hold 8 people I think.

The poll closed in December. Maybe Pat can create a new one.

On 1/23/2024 at 7:14 AM, Bart said:

I haven't exactly been on top of this 🥺. I spoke to a manager at Shelter yesterday, and it turns out you can reserve those picnic tables. I had not inquired before and didn't realize it was a possibility. I had thought it was all first come first served. The length of notice to reserve depends on the size of the party. I figure we'll be 8 to 12. (?)

Instead of hemming and hawing  further, I'm going to add a poll to see what days and times work for people to go there. If we can get that to work, we'll do Old Town next time. That duo covers a fair amount of the geographic area.

Will get the poll up within 24 hours.

• Like 1