Thanh Van Restaurant – Eden Center

My understanding is that this is a vegan Vietnamese restaurant in Eden Center.  Has anyone eaten here?  We have vegan friends for whom we are dying to find a good place to eat with a decent number of choices. 

Recommendations for other vegan places (aside from True Food Kitchen, only because we ate with our friends there previously) are also welcome.  Or, at least, a place with a heavy lean towards vegan.

Thank you!  

-Courtney

• Like 1

Not sure about Thanh Van but Chay has been getting a lot of good press and its vegetarian and vegan offerings. https://www.chayrestaurant.com/ 

Any decent Vietnamese restaurant will give have vegetarian and vegan options. If you are looking to stay in Eden Center proper, Rice Paper and Truong Tien have good vegetarian options. Not sure if they are vegan but I'm not sure what would make them vegan and not vegetarian since there's no dairy.

• Thanks 1

I've been to Thanh Van many times.  It's really casual - they have pre cooked as well as cooked to order food.  Their English is pretty limited.  I just point to things I want to try.  I like it, but it's not a place to really meet and hang with friends.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, eatruneat said:

Not sure if they are vegan but I'm not sure what would make them vegan and not vegetarian since there's no dairy.

I thought about chiming in and saying ‘all Vietnamese vegetarian will also be vegan’ [to hell with the split infinitive], but then I thought of the occasional egg (especially during breakfast) and fish sauce (fermented krill et al).

But from vegan.com:

”As a largely Buddhist country, Vietnam offers plenty of vegetarian restaurants. They serve up a staggering variety of vegan dishes, many of which are remarkably healthy and loaded with veggies.”

On 5/7/2024 at 7:56 AM, DonRocks said:

I thought about chiming in and saying ‘all Vietnamese vegetarian will also be vegan’ [to hell with the split infinitive], but then I thought of the occasional egg (especially during breakfast) and fish sauce (fermented krill et al).

My family -- Vietnamese Buddhists -- does not consider fish sauce part of a "chay" or vegetarian diet because an animal has died in the process. They have their own vegetarian fish sauce, usually made with mushrooms. Dairy, honey, butter, and eggs however can be used when eating "chay" but is pretty rare (except for eggs) in Vietnamese cuisine anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1