Meyer Lemons

porcupine

Steamed artichokes, served cold with Meyer lemon vinaigrette
Is this a good time of year to find Meyer lemons around here? I've seen them occasionally in the past but have not noticed any recently and don't know when the best time is to look for them.

I have a Meyer Lemon Eclair recipe I'd like to try.

Is this a good time of year to find Meyer lemons around here? I've seen them occasionally in the past but have not noticed any recently and don't know when the best time is to look for them.

I have a Meyer Lemon Eclair recipe I'd like to try.

They have a bunch at WF for $1.49/lb. They seemed very soft for lemons, but I really don't know much about them.

I just picked some up at Trader Joe's. They are bright orange, and the Meyer lemon trees I grew up with in my yard are yellow, so I'm curious to see if there is any difference in taste. They were pretty soft, and I put them right in the refrigerator. I plan to make my best-ever lemon meringue pie with them.

I believe the season is winding down this month; they started to appear at WF & TJs fairly early in the winter. The hybrid fruit tastes both of lemon and orange (mandarin?).

The skin normally is very thin and smooth, but the fruit a lot firmer than the ones I saw at Whole Foods, thus the sale price. (Regular price is a good deal, too.) Just be a little choosy and they should be fine. I used one very squishy lemon that has been in the fridge for over a month last night. Make sure to take advantage of the fragrant zest which is great in rhubarb compote, for example.

eta: apparently there were three threads, now down to two... I am confused.
So am I! :blink:

[There are certain subjects that have two dedicated threads... one that focuses on acquisition (shopping) and the other on use and preparation (cooking). In addition to the obvious one of Meyer lemons, other examples are: gelato, sausages, rockfish, ramps and so on.

This is how most of these threads naturally evolved and the main reason they have not been combined (yet) is so those looking to purchase an item do not have to wade through a bunch of discussion regarding cooking and those who have already bought something and are looking for cooking ideas don't have to scroll through a bunch of posts on how it is on sale at WF for $2.99/lb. That is not saying that these threads may not eventually be combined, but for now, they remain separate and are listed under either "Shopping" or "Cooking" in the index.

If anyone feels strongly about this topic -- if the shopping & cooking threads should remain separate or be combined -- I'd be happy to hear your input via PM. ;) ]

Not sure if it's a good price but about 2 weeks ago I saw Meyer Lemons at Whole Foods on Duke St in Alexandria for $1.49/lb.
That was where I got mine last week, and it worked out to about 40 cents per lemon. Given that regular lemons can be 2 or 3 for a dollar, I thought that was a pretty good price. I needed more meyer lemons to get the right amount of juice for my lemon curd than I would have with regular lemons, though.

I saw and passed on some pre-bagged meyer lemons at the Harris Teeter at Pentagon Row today: $3.99 for 1 lb (4 lemons). They didn't look as good as the Whole Foods ones and were more than 2X the price.