Caja China

culocho

I'm watching "Throwdown" (which is terrible) but realize The Caja China solves my problem of wanting to do a Cuban pig roast for my boyfriend's birthday. Having lived in Miami, I love a pig roast, but don't think my landlord wants me to dig a hole or build a cinderblock oven.

Does anyone have a Caja China that they may want to rent? Or know of such a thing?

I'm watching "Throwdown" (which is terrible) but realize The Caja China solves my problem of wanting to do a Cuban pig roast for my boyfriend's birthday. Having lived in Miami, I love a pig roast, but don't think my landlord wants me to dig a hole or build a cinderblock oven.

Does anyone have a Caja China that they may want to rent? Or know of such a thing?

There a number of Caja China experts around here. Until they chime in, a good place to start is here. :blink:

We also had Caja China-roasted pigs at our Fall '06 picnic. The recipe for one of the pigs is here and pics can be found in this thread.

Culocho, tu no fuiste a nuestro ultimo picnic, verdad? Yo, Cubana y otro, de Puerto Rico, supplied the caja chinas. But, los Americanos, de verdad no supieron, como bake un lechon latino. Yes a few of us have one, they are not for rent, but go to CajaChina.com and they aren't that expensive. They were designed by a Cuban in New Jersey who wanted to roast a lechon on his balcony, y como they say, el resto is history.

Basically yes it is a big oven, but these were invented for a Latino style of roasting a pig. We don't care for the smoke, we usually want the pig to shine. It is minimally marinated with mojo criollo, which is sour orange (or lime), garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.

The roasted cuban big has to have tender meat and a very crisp skin. Most pig roasts I've been to are just a cinderblock oven built over a driveway with the pig flattened inside of heavy duty metal mesh. Similar to this: http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html.

I want to buy a Caja China, but my basement apartment in Shaw might not work. Although I could chain it up out back with the grill and the patio furniture.

The roasted cuban big has to have tender meat and a very crisp skin. Most pig roasts I've been to are just a cinderblock oven built over a driveway with the pig flattened inside of heavy duty metal mesh. Similar to this: http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html.

I want to buy a Caja China, but my basement apartment in Shaw might not work. Although I could chain it up out back with the grill and the patio furniture.

Yes, we had one of those for a while...La Caja China is definately easier. Will you be at the HH tonight?

What's with the "planning"? Pick a date, amigo. We'll be there.

I think with this crew, it would be rather larger than our usual backyard gatherings. This would have to be a team effort - planning is definitely necessary. The mofongo alone would be a hell of a job.

The pigs at the last picnic were very, very good, but I think it's time to start planning a Cuban/Puerto Rican/etc. pig roast and show these gringos how to do it right.

So which one is better - Cuban-style roast pig or Puerto Rican-style roast pig??? [ducking]

Well, no thanks to the people here, ( :lol: ) the lamb roast was a success..

36 lb lamb cut into quarters, brine for 24 hours with lots of salt, lemon, ginger, cinnamon, peppercorns, bay leaf, parsley, celery, leeks, and garlic.

Roast in the caja, turning once and adding sliced lemon, for just over an hour, to an internal temp of 150f

It was pink juicy and succulent.