Ann Amernick's "The Art of the Dessert"

cjsadler

So has anyone bought (and baked from) this book yet? No caramel recipe, but it does give up the secrets of the rest of the cookie plate (I think). I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point. Surely there was some more attractive dessert picture they could have put on the front cover...

I think the caramel recipe goes something like this...

Bring 1 quart of water to a boil in a large pot and then add 40 pounds of sugar. Once sugar has dissolved, add 80 pounds of butter. Reduce. Once reduced pour contents of pot into one 8x15 pan and refrigerate until firm. Cut into cubes and serve.

Surely there was some more attractive dessert picture they could have put on the front cover...

Don't blame Ann. Choosing what will go on the cover of a book often involves a committee of people, not necessarily including the author. Knowing a lot about design or having well-developed aesthetics are often not required for inclusion on the committee that decides the cover art. ;)

I bought it but I haven't looked at. In fact I bought it from Amazon and couldn't tell you what the cover looks like!

Jennifer

What was the price on Amazon? I saw it in the book store a few days ago for $45, and I thought that was too much for a baking cookbook.

What was the price on Amazon? I saw it in the book store a few days ago for $45, and I thought that was too much for a baking cookbook.
$26.40

ETA: My copy has arrived and I have begun paging through it. I was looking for cookie recipes, but the two recipes that have have really caught my eye are Caramel Trifle and Chocolate Orange Fondant Ovals.

(Through Amazon Prime, this book--and another--arrived within 19 hours of placing the order. Wow ;) )