Cafe Parisien (Express), North Arlington - Closed

My wife and I are looking to eat in Arlington this Wednesday and be finished by 8pm. Looking for something interesting and good that will not break the bank and will leave our tastes intact for a wine tasting later that evening.

Thanks in advance

At Lee Hights -- an upscale little strip mall just past the intersection of Lee and N. Glebe on Lee -- is a little bistro. It's serve yourself but nice. Near Arrowine.

A friend wrote me a few weeks ago, saying that Cafe Parisien Express had changed ownership, and the food had gotten worse. My response: "It couldn't have gotten much worse!"

This place has never been great, but years ago they had a decent cook, and it was pleasant from breakfast all the way through dinner - I remember the (Monday night?) couscous special as being particularly good. The coffee was always bad, but it was a fun place to pass an hour with a croissant and cappucino, listen to Edith Piaf, read a French magazine, and watch little old ladies chatting the morning away.

All of this came to a crashing halt this morning with my dessicated scrambled eggs.

However, you can add Cafe Parisien Express to the list of half-price wine nights on Mondays - their small selection of drinkable table wines are only about $20, even at full price.

Wireless internet now available, although I didn't really see any outlets to use.

Cheers,

Rocks.

Under the original owners the bruch was excellent in my opinion. If they would have only gotten rid of the paper plates. We ventured in a week after the handover, not knowing of the change, and got my omelet and right off the bat I knew somthing was not right. Way too much greese and it was sloppy.

It was decent, but not the same and we have not been back for a second try. The bread is the same, which I tought was excellent.

My wife, daughter, and I happened to be in the strip mall where Cafe Parisien is located at lunchtime on Sunday so decided to stop in for a bite. We liked the ambiance and its quaint neighborhood feel and my daughter loved the pictures of Paris. Our food was pretty good too, especially the bread. I had a spinach quiche, which i actually liked alot. My wife and daughter had scrambled eggs and potatoes, which i thought were nicely done. The eggs were cooked nicely, not overdone at all, and the potatoes were a tad bland but overall not bad. I like the feel of this place. It's not trying to be anything it can't be. It's a neighborhood place that tries to make you feel like you're in Paris. It seems like they can do a decent job on the simple stuff. I'll stop in again at some point and see if my first impression is correct.

It seems like they can do a decent job on the simple stuff.

D'accord. I have always found that simple is better here. Brie with tomato on a fresh baguette = very good. Escargots bourguignon with the snails cooked into a piece of bread kind of like how some places serve a piece of french toast with a fried egg in a cut hole in the center = not so much.

I read a rumor that this place might now be closed. Does anybody now for sure?

The outside tables were missing when we drove by during dinner hour mid-week, but we did not notice whether it was open or not. It has survived so long with only casual patronage, that it never occurred to us that it might be closed. We go occasionally for chicken brochette or brie sandwiches. If you know how to order you could make do here.

I just walked by this morning. Sign says it is closed and the place is for lease.

For better, or for worse, it's going to be a Chipotle (they're hiring now - this wouldn't be as irritating if Homemade Pizza Co. wasn't already right there). This is going to hurt Crisp & Juicy.

I don't "hate" Chipotle, but they're not at all "gourmet" like they claim to be, and they use *way* too much sodium.