Dr. Dremo's, The Junkyard Run by Ed Gein is Making a Comeback

Unless there is some magical reprieve (property values in Arlington falling precipitously overnight?) Dr. Dremo, the glorious dive bar and pool hall, will be closing after last call tonight. I believe they're having a live band and some cheap drink specials tonight to mark the sad occasion; I'm holding out for "hey, we can't take the Guinness with us, might as well give it all to Josh."

Come see the place that Don Rockwell said looked like "a junkyard run by Ed Gein."

From their website:

The Dr Dremo and Taco Bell property has been sold to Elm St Development. Plans call for 141 residential units and 34,685 sf of ground floor retail.

Truly, I'll take Ed Gein's junkyard over yet another soul-draining, character-destroying, real-estate "development" project any day of the week.

Truly, I'll take Ed Gein's junkyard over yet another soul-draining, character-destroying, real-estate "development" project any day of the week.

Also of interest, there is supposed to be an auction of various Dremo's paraphernalia Monday night at 7. For the practical among you, it may be a good chance to grab some cheap industrial kitchen equipment. For the whimsical, put in a bid for the polynesian-themed totem pole or one of the beer brewing vats. I'm likely to bid on the Homer Simpson's Chocolate Donut Stout tap pull, just to infuriate my wife.

I can't help feeling a little schadenfreude for whoever has been trying to develop that lot for the past three years or so. Another tower of condos probably seemed like a can't-miss investment three years ago. Perhaps the housing market will change by the time its built, but here's hoping that they're biting their nails a little.

Yours For Good Fermentables Blog Post About The New Dr. Dremo

It's super news, but I'll kinda miss the post-rainstorm puddle scene from the final days at the old place. Now *that* was character, petri-dish worthy character!

Excellent. I didn't know the *reason* behind not being able to have booze, but now I do - one more filing card upstairs that probably pushed an important fact out. :(