Our Local Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives

Having watched enough episodes of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on Food Network to make my mouth water and my stomach growl, I'm interested in suggestions from others on interesting "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" in the D.C. area to find great food. Ben's Chili Bowl comes to mind. Others in D.C., MD and VA?

My go-to "dive," though you can drive right up, is at the Maine Avenue Fish Wharf. I leave nearby, so it's convenient. There are a few places where you can get a very freshly fried fish or shrimp or oyster sandwich or dinner for less than ten dollars. Some people are squeamish about buying fresh fish there, but I eat the fried stuff all too frequently and everything's always tasty. Huge portions. It's too bad that there's no place there to sit and eat - so you just have to walk along the marina to find a bench and protect your food from the birds!

Having watched enough episodes of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on Food Network to make my mouth water and my stomach growl, I'm interested in suggestions from others on interesting "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" in the D.C. area to find great food. Ben's Chili Bowl comes to mind. Others in D.C., MD and VA?

Easy answer - Vienna Inn.

Haven't been in yet, but from the outside:

The Broiler

Good BBQ, half smokes not as good as Ben's:

Weenie Beanie

The best diner in the area, IMHO:

Bob and Edith's

The difference between this place at 12 noon and 12 midnight is amazing:

Amphora- no entry for it yet, though there is one for the bakery. I'll have to start one.

Good dive bars are harder to list, as this year has seen the sad passing of The Childe Harold(e)?, Dr. Dremo, etc. You're also more likely to get a good divey food fix from the wide variety of food carts.

A place that I hace YET to see written about that has been around since 1927 is Mike's Italian Restaurant on Route 1 in Alexandria. The place is clean, service is OK but the food is what has kept it going. Don't judge this book by its cover...............you'll leave full and content. Veal is the center piece of this joint but please do not ask for vegan food, you'll get an earful by some short Italian lady telliny the dangers of fad diets. :):mellow:

Another place for killer Chinese food late at night is Yums on 14th. You'll need to be strapped with your Glock to get in but the food is worth it. Another great place for friendly service and good food is Vasso's. They got a write up from TS that was pretty damn good for a local joint in North Alexandria. It beats waiting for a table and being run over by the snot nosed crowd down the street at Rustico!

A place that I hace YET to see written about that has been around since 1927 is Mike's Italian Restaurant on Route 1 in Alexandria. The place is clean, service is OK but the food is what has kept it going. Don't judge this book by its cover...............you'll leave full and content. Veal is the center piece of this joint but please do not ask for vegan food, you'll get an earful by some short Italian lady telliny the dangers of fad diets. :):mellow:

Another place for killer Chinese food late at night is Yums on 14th. You'll need to be strapped with your Glock to get in but the food is worth it. Another great place for friendly service and good food is Vasso's. They got a write up from TS that was pretty damn good for a local joint in North Alexandria. It beats waiting for a table and being run over by the snot nosed crowd down the street at Rustico!

Dude, how long has it been since you've been to 14th street? You don't your Glock, you need your gold card for Cork. :)

When I used to end up at Yum's after midnight 10+ years ago I used to wish the window to the street was bullet-proof, in addition to the one dividing the kitchen from the waiting area, for fear that a bunch of knuckleheads would see a rival dealer there and do a drive by on the place. A Kung-pao chicken worth risking your life for (of course, after nine beers I'm bullet-proof anyway).