Delia's, Pizza and Greek in Three Area Locations

OK, in all honesty, drop me in the middle of the Saratoga shopping center and my first choice would be Saratoga Pizzeria, which has dependable good grub and some passable Greek dishes. I wouldn't eat at the Chinese place at gunpoint. I'm just saying that as far as food in the Springfield area goes, I will gladly walk 2-3 blocks for the lomo saltado and salmon in pumpkin seeds at least weekly.
You really need to try Delia's on Backlick Rd across from the Credit Union (at Brookwood? Shopping Center?). Much the same food (Greco-Italian, and Salvadorean in addition) as Saratoga but without Miss Effie as your waitress du'jour. I used to eat at Saratoga fairly often and you're right about the "Chinese" place...

Love, love, love Delia's. In addition to the Greek dishes, they have the Peruvian chicken by virtue of buying the place next door. Nice eclectic menu, and throw in pizza and subs and it's a place the whole family can enjoy.

Speaking of Chinese in the Springfield area, Canton Cafe between K-Mart and Trader Joe's in Springfield Plaza is as good as it gets this side of Annandale/Seven Corners. Farther up Old Keene Mill, behind the Whole Foods, is the Asian Grill -- more suburban Chinese brought to you by the family that own's Ho's in Burke. Those are my Springfield Chinese stand-bys.

Before the vet hospital in which I work moved from Springfield, we ordered delivery from Delia's at least once a week. Well, many people in the hospital ordered more often than that. But I've never been to the restaurant, and since the hospital moved to Merrifield three years ago, I have missed Delia's food terribly. I've tried twice to find it, but must have gone right by it both times. Is it on the other side of Backlick from the credit union?

Before the vet hospital in which I work moved from Springfield, we ordered delivery from Delia's at least once a week. Well, many people in the hospital ordered more often than that. But I've never been to the restaurant, and since the hospital moved to Merrifield three years ago, I have missed Delia's food terribly. I've tried twice to find it, but must have gone right by it both times. Is it on the other side of Backlick from the credit union?
That's correct. It's in the same strip mall that has the new Dunkin Donuts right across the street from the credit union. That strip mall is just north of the new VDOT parking lot.

Delia's bought the chicken place next door to it, I believe it was called Tumi, and thus is able to offer the wonderful rotisserie chicken along with all the Greek dishes. I don't know any other place around where you can get that wonderful Latin American chicken with a side of moussaka.

I've been to Delia's 3 times, once for Breakfast and twice after work. The breakfast was okay but I found the dinners to be very poor. I don't recall what we had as we hoped the first dinner was an abberation and after the second dinner we chose to do the best to remove the memory from our dining vocabulary. We did not try the the peruvian chicken and our quick dinners weren't greek if I recall. We'll pick up kabobs at the Food Corner in the Brookfield plaza roughly across the street if we need something quick on the way home.

Only ate at the Canton Cafe once and I liked it. Haven't been back because my wife shys from chinese.

I've been to Delia's 3 times, once for Breakfast and twice after work. The breakfast was okay but I found the dinners to be very poor.
I'd never call Delia's a destination dining place. It's a good lunch place and a okay dinner place (if you stick to their strengths, that is). The chicken is very good (and it was Tumi before Delia's bought it), the pizza is good Italo-Greek, the calzones are huge and leave you with left-overs, the salads are big...I'd never go there for fine dining but sometimes you just want to eat something simple and go home and call it a day...Delia's is good for that...(come to think of it, a lot of small places are like that...29 Diner comes to mind)

Never knew that any of these places in Springfield were worth spend my dining $$ at, but I do enjoy a bowl of pho at Pho Hong Anh in the plaza with K-Mart and Hard Times. They also do some damn tasty butter wings.

Hit Delia's again tonight with a party of six. You know this is good food when two tables were occupied by Fairfax County's finest on-duty officers. I had a fairly normal stand-by, the Greek Salad topped with grilled chicken. While not entirely different than what you'd find at most family-owned Greek restaurants, the ingredients were fresh, the dressing was house-made, the portions were generous, and I left fulfilled. One companion had the Mediterranean pizza and gobbled it down with a rousing thumbs up. My daughter had the Fettucine Alfredo, which certainly was a passable example of this rich pasta dish.

This is one of those restaurants where you come in hungry, leave well fed, with not too big a hit on the wallet and a healthy desire to return. Part of it is that there's so much to choose from -- like Peruvian chicken, Greek souvlaki, subs, pizzas, pastas, whew! -- and part of it is that it's a family-run operation and it feels like it.

I finally found Delia's in Springfield on Friday and had a Peruvian chicken sub. It was delicious! The fries were crisp, but I wish they would salt them a little when they come out of the oil. I have to go back to have the chicken souvlaki sandwich--I used to love their Greek sandwiches when we ordered delivery from them at work.

The place was packed, but service was good. They are clearly comfortable working at full capacity.

Delia's was jam-packed at lunch today, including Fairfax County's finest at one table. I had the always superb Greek salad topped with souvlaki, and my companion had the excellent Peruvian chicken with sides of rice and salad. This is Springfield's comfort food headquarters.

Ever wonder what to do on that weeknight when nobody feels like cooking, and Dad wants man-food like a whole Peruvian chicken, Mom wants a healthy Greek salad topped with grilled chicken or souvlaki, one son wants good pizza, another son wants a cheeseburger with fries, and daughter wants veal parmesan? You're thinking you'll need to hit a loud and mediocre food court or one of those incredibly indifferent Town Centres to accommodate all the various tastes. Think again, and head to Delia's.

Having spent the past two weeks out west, I was hungry for some good northern Virginia comfort food, AKA Peruvian chicken. So it was off to Delia's we went. As always, the food was excellent.

What's not to like about this place? Family owned and operated -- check. The obvious favorite lunch choice of the Fairfax County police -- check. Award winning pizza, featured on the Discovery Channel as well as in Mario Batali's "Everybody Loves Pizza" -- check. Friendly waitresses who have worked there for a dozen or more years -- check. Greek and Italian fare that is competently prepared and plentiful -- check. Strong community support and generous contributor to various charitable causes -- check!

Girlfriend and I split a whole Peruvian chicken tonight, along with rice and Greek salad. It really hit the spot, which is exactly what we needed after eating our way through San Francisco for the past two weeks. I have eaten here many dozens of times and I look forward to many dozens more.

[The DR community would benefit from the Springfield location being called out separately in the dining guide. The two other locations in Sterling and Alexandria are hardly the draw of the Springfield location, and as the dining guide goes, this place is worthy of the no. 1 or no. 2 spot in Springfield. Just saying....]

[The DR community would benefit from the Springfield location being called out separately in the dining guide. The two other locations in Sterling and Alexandria are hardly the draw of the Springfield location, and as the dining guide goes, this place is worthy of the no. 1 or no. 2 spot in Springfield. Just saying....]

Pay close attention to the title and the first sentence ... (click me )

Having spent the past two weeks out west, I was hungry for some good northern Virginia comfort food, AKA Peruvian chicken. So it was off to Delia's we went. As always, the food was excellent.

What's not to like about this place? Family owned and operated -- check. The obvious favorite lunch choice of the Fairfax County police -- check. Award winning pizza, featured on the Discovery Channel as well as in Mario Batali's "Everybody Loves Pizza" -- check. Friendly waitresses who have worked there for a dozen or more years -- check. Greek and Italian fare that is competently prepared and plentiful -- check. Strong community support and generous contributor to various charitable causes -- check!

Girlfriend and I split a whole Peruvian chicken tonight, along with rice and Greek salad. It really hit the spot, which is exactly what we needed after eating our way through San Francisco for the past two weeks. I have eaten here many dozens of times and I look forward to many dozens more.

The Greek food can be good, but certainly nothing to drive more than across town for. I still don't understand how their pizza wins any type of award. The flavorless crust doesn't do much to help the lackluster toppings. It is barely above the pizza from Malek's, which is just above Domino's.

On 3/9/2010 at 8:42 PM, Kibbee Nayee said:

Do you still stand by this, Kibbee? I just don't see Delia's as being any great shakes (Afghan Bistro, on the other hand ...).

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

Do you still stand by this, Kibbee? I just don't see Delia's as being any great shakes (Afghan Bistro, on the other hand ...).

I might have stood by those words 8 years ago, when I wrote this....but today, Afghan Bistro is far out in front, then Monty's and Osteria Marzano, depending on how the Springfield lines are drawn, and then (in varying order) Eleni's, Karahi Kabob, Thai Ghang Waan, Osaka, and a handful of others.

Eleni's broke from Delia's over a family squabble about 3-4 years ago. The heart and soul of Delia's went to Eleni's. Delia's is almost indistinguishable from Malek's nowadays.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Kibbee Nayee said:

I might have stood by those words 8 years ago, when I wrote this....but today, Afghan Bistro is far out in front, then Monty's and Osteria Marzano, depending on how the Springfield lines are drawn, and then (in varying order) Eleni's, Karahi Kabob, Thai Ghang Waan, Osaka, and a handful of others.

Eleni's broke from Delia's over a family squabble about 3-4 years ago. The heart and soul of Delia's went to Eleni's. Delia's is almost indistinguishable from Malek's nowadays.

[Thanks to the labors of DIShGo, the DC Dining Guide is *completely* redone, save for some restaurants that I've yet to add (this is an ongoing, never-ending process) - now, she's turning her attention to Virginia. If anyone sees anything incorrect (not "missing," but incorrect) in the DC Guide, please let her know via PM. She had to split it up into three posts instead of two because of the sheer size of it (it broke the system!) - she'll need to do the same with Virginia, because she's adding Instagram as well as Twitter. 

Much appreciated also would be someone taking a stab at a more logical ordering of neighborhoods (both in DC and Virginia).]

• Like 1