Sietsema's Table

Erik Ox

Looks like Tom is launching a new blog called 'Sietsema's Table' (can't get the link to work now, but it can be found in the middle of this page.

Gotta say that as a longtime wp.com discussion reader ( must have been since '99 or '00 when it was called 'Live Online') I'm a little disheartened to see the movement of folks like Tom and Gene W. into the blog-ish sort of writing. The 'Gene Pool' is nearly unreadable, and really make me value all the work that the producers put in to pull out the decent questions/comments.

I do hope this new project succeeds, but I'm just not sure that it's for me.

Looks like Tom is launching a new blog called 'Sietsema's Table' (can't get the link to work now, but it can be found in the middle of this page.

Gotta say that as a longtime wp.com discussion reader ( must have been since '99 or '00 when it was called 'Live Online') I'm a little disheartened to see the movement of folks like Tom and Gene W. into the blog-ish sort of writing. The 'Gene Pool' is nearly unreadable, and really make me value all the work that the producers put in to pull out the decent questions/comments.

I do hope this new project succeeds, but I'm just not sure that it's for me.

I don't really think it is a blog. Seems to me it is more like another food board.

This discussion group, focused on anything and everything related to my favorite topic, should help change that. I'll be posting thoughts and questions here several times a week, with the hope that you and your fellow food enthusiasts can weigh in and "tawk amongst yourselves" in real time or after the fact. I may or may not add to the threads (hey, I've got four deadlines a week!), but you can be sure I'll be following your responses.

It's the state of the business. You might as well get used to it. Newspapers around the country are all going to this kind of thing, more or less, as less and less people start their day out with a physical copy of the paper. Believe me, the writers, generally, aren't doing this because they enjoy it. They're just trying to keep their jobs.

It's the state of the business. You might as well get used to it. Newspapers around the country are all going to this kind of thing, more or less, as less and less people start their day out with a physical copy of the paper. Believe me, the writers, generally, aren't doing this because they enjoy it. They're just trying to keep their jobs.

The Washingtonian has the Best Bites Blog, and NoVa magazine has the food writer doing Twitter.

The Washingtonian has the Best Bites Blog, and NoVa magazine has the food writer doing Twitter.

Of all the available Web 2.0 type options, this was, surprisingly, the smartest choice. It doesn't require the amount of research that would still be required of a blog, isn't as trite as Twitter can be, and most of all involves the most reader interaction. The page views have the potential to be astronomical in turn generating them a lot of $$. The question is whether or not Tom responds a lot. Smart move.

Of all the available Web 2.0 type options, this was, surprisingly, the smartest choice. It doesn't require the amount of research that would still be required of a blog, isn't as trite as Twitter can be, and most of all involves the most reader interaction. The page views have the potential to be astronomical in turn generating them a lot of $$. The question is whether or not Tom responds a lot. Smart move.

Tom just began using Twitter as well (click here for details).

Here are the statistics for Sietsema's Table (if I'm counting correctly) 15 months into it:

Total topics: 159

Total topics started by Tom: 159

Total posts by Tom: 162

Have you ever been in bed, half-awake at 4:30 AM, and heard the Washington Post being thrown onto your front lawn, followed by a car speeding off? Now we know who the driver is! laugh.gif

Hello Washington Post: Best Burger in today's Magazine CHECK YOUR FREAKING STORIES, Ray's has been serving fries for a long time! Its OK to re purpose old reports but at least make sure they are accurate

And this, in a nutshell, is why I find the Post.com design so annoying. I'm overseas for a wee spell, so I don't have access to the paper version right now. But the site is such a mess that when you read it online, you just basically just have to know what days your favorite columns and sections run and look for them on those days. Hunting gets you nowhere, writer archives are laughably out of date, and many one-off articles are buried so deep, or have truncated headlines, or are not listed at all that unless you *know* that they're running, you'll never find them.

After so many years, I'd really hoped they would have started to get better at this. Harumph.