Pi Pizzeria and Wine Bar, Adams Morgan - Closed

After walking by a few times, I saw this on the Zagat website today:

http://www.zagat.com/Blog/Detail.aspx?SNP=...amp;BLGID=14038

Pi Hopes to Run Circles Around the Competition

There’s pi, the mathematical constant (3.14) that represents the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter. And then there’s pie, as in brick oven pizza. Within the next few weeks, the two concepts will unite in Adams Morgan at Pi, an upcoming wine bar that will serve pizza, salad and Italian desserts. Circularity is the design theme of this two-tiered venue – round metal cutouts, curvy ironwork and a circle-patterned black-and-gold wallpaper will ensure you don't forget the name after sampling the vino or craft beers (2309 18th St NW).

Anyone know any more details, like who's running the joint?

I walked into Pi last night, and was immediately impressed by the hot, wood-burning pizza oven. This is a high-quality oven which is the centerpiece of what appears to be a tiny, hidden, alley-looking kitchen just behind it. Other than pizza, the only hot item on the menu is an appetizer of grilled vegetables.

Seeing the oven got my hopes up for the Margherita ($8), but they were quickly dashed when the pizza arrived. This is a fairly large pie for the money, probably at least twelve inches in diameter and served in quarters. The crust was heavy and bready, the tomato sauce mediocre, the cheese glotted in vertical mounds and unevenly cooked, and the basil a single stem with three untorn leaves plopped down in the center of the pie.

As disappointing as this pizza was, it's still better than the Jumbo Slice, and is perhaps "good enough" for Adams Morgan. But I can't say the same for their wine list, which is simply awful: Moet White Star, Erath Pinot Gris, Chateau Sainte Michelle Semillion, Benziger Sauvignon Blanc, Ferrari-Carano Fume Blanc, Robert Mondavi Chardonnay, Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir, Frog's Leap Cabernet Sauvignon, Kenwood Vintage Red, Ruffino Chianti Classico, and Pio Cesare Barolo are some high-profile culprits littering an unworkable list that looks like something straight out of Montgomery County.

So your best bet here is the underachieving beer list, and I enjoyed a very good pint of Paulaner Oktoberfest which was the best of the bunch - the problem is that, at $8, it costs as much as the Margherita pizza!

Cheers,

Rocks.