Restaurants and Tables for a Private Conversation

I'm trying to think of a place in DC/NOVA that will allow one to have a private conversation over cocktails. It's harder than it sounds. The only place I've come up with is Off the Record, but that bar is a bit open and the one table that is removed enough from the others is first-come, first-served. Can anyone throw me some suggestions?

I'm trying to think of a place in DC/NOVA that will allow one to have a private conversation over cocktails. It's harder than it sounds. The only place I've come up with is Off the Record, but that bar is a bit open and the one table that is removed enough from the others is first-come, first-served. Can anyone throw me some suggestions?

I think this conversation is perhaps best suited for specific tables, rather than specific restaurants. Many restaurants have ultra-quiet areas, and I'll be interested in seeing what people come up with.

If money is no object, the *ultimate* table in DC for a private conversation is the "Bird's Nest" at Plume. (Yes, those curtains can be drawn, and each one probably weighs 50 pounds. The "books" behind you aren't actually leather spines, but a trompe l'oeil oil painting of leather spines - when you're in there, you are basking in luxurious seclusion.)

At the other end of the scale, one of the things I love about Sweetwater Tavern in Merrifield is that, except for the large bar area, it's 100% booths, and it's easy to have a private conversation because the restaurant itself is so noisy that nobody can hear you talk (but the acoustics within each booth make it so you don't have to raise your voice).

There are many tables in between, such as the alcoves at Adour.

• Like 1

I think this conversation is perhaps best suited for specific tables, rather than specific restaurants. Many restaurants have ultra-quiet areas, and I'll be interested in seeing what people come up with.

The booths at Bamian are nicely suited for a private conversation.

• Like 1

Is this a private conversation meaning an incredibly romantic, dark room-perhaps a place that if it is a first date you'll want to come back to years later for an anniversary? Or alternatively is so dark that if it is a bad blind date nobody will be able to see who you are with?

How far are you willing to drive?

Locally, the lounge of the Old Anglers Inn where most of the light is from candles and there is a working fireplace.

More distant is the lounge of the Blackthorne Inn on route 50 near Paris, VA where most of the light is from candles and much of the heat is from several fireplaces.

The Basin Street Lounge in the downstairs basement of Old Town's 219 has a lot of character also.

Not as dark but both have a lot of character are the lounge at Tuscarora Mill in Lessburg. A couple of blocks away is the excellent Wine Kitchen that I wish was closer to me.