Faidley's, Lexington Market

Recently after watching season 4 of the Wire on dvd with my dad, I realized that I had never had Faidley's crabcake

So this Saturday, I went to Lexington market, resisted the Berger cookie stand, and ordered one lump crabcake, fried.

It was really nice- I liked that they mixed in some of the crab "mustard" into the cake to make it a little more creamy. Most crabcakes are just meat and spices, but the "mustard" flavor was a nice surprise.

I would definitely go back.

Faidley's crab cake was fantastic! It really is the best. The coddie (cod and mashed potato, kind of like a knish) at Faidley's is surprisingly good as well. Both are worth the cholesterol hit. Can't say the same for fried chicken liver and gizzard. A small order of each was $3 and there were enough to clog several arteries. I only had one bite of chicken liver and 1 piece of gizzard. Gizzard beats liver but neither were all that good (from Parks).

Was in Baltimore for the weekend and decided to walk to Faidleys. Man, this is a crummy crummy crummy neighborhood. (Note to self, drive, park, get crabcake and leave immediately). I had a lump crab meat crabcake and a side of greens and mac and cheese. The sides were pretty lousy. The greens were bland and the mac and cheese had a very odd consistency and taste - very fake orange color and taste - definately no cheese with that mac. The crabcake on the other hand was delicious. Probably the best one I have ever had. Just tons of lump delicious crab, no shell whatsoever in the meat, and a little bit of a msutard binder. Delicious.

The crabcake on the other hand was delicious. Probably the best one I have ever had. Just tons of lump delicious crab, no shell whatsoever in the meat, and a little bit of a msutard binder. Delicious.

Yep, my husband was very happy with his straight-up crab cake. My fried haddock sandwich was HUGE! A maybe 12-inch fillet fried as two pieces, given to me with two slices of wonderish bread and some decent lettuce and mealy tomato. The hubs used my bread to turn his crab cake into a sandwich and I ate as much I could of the totally-worth-the-calories, surprisingly greaseless, supercrunchy only on the outside fish with the better than average tartar sauce. I still needed help, though, which made me a little sad, because I wanted to finish All the Deliciousness!

Stopped in for another Faidley's crabcake. The lump crabcake, their most expensive, is considerably larger than their backfin crabcake, but there is no substitute - only intact lumps carry the delicate sweetness for which you're eating a crabcake in the first place, right? It's a very good crabcake, with plenty of flavor and just a bit of mustard, but there's also a bit too much filler and other crabmeat between the lumps to be a contender for the very best IMHO.

Skip the cream of crab soup, which was awful. For five and a half bucks I might not expect a bunch of crab, but the soup should at least resemble a cream soup or bisque, whereas this one pretty much had the appearance (and one imagines the flavor) of a starchy pot of papier mâché paste, only piping hot.

Faidley's signature sandwich is not the crab cake but their fish sandwich which rivals Benny's on Maine avenue in the '50's, which Horace and Dickey's aka Boyd's once served but no longer. From above: "My fried haddock sandwich was HUGE! A maybe 12-inch fillet fried as two pieces, given to me with two slices of wonderish bread" Actually it should be Wonder bread and more specifically, served with mayonnaisey cole slaw and some Evangeline Hot Sauce although I think they use a different brand today. Fresh haddock which is batter fried and piled high on the cheap white Wonder bread.

A great sandwich which is their real signature.

The Narrows still has the best traditional crabcake and cream of crab soup. Captain's Table in Ocean City has-by far-the best red crab soup along with superb crab guacamole. Years ago Angelina's had great crab imperial but that is all gone now as are their crab cakes which a year ago we drove from Reston to try. Ten years ago Angelina's was phenominal. No longer.

We went in Faidley's at 10 am on Saturday.  The lady at the counter says they're not open but she can help me?!  So she took my order, back fin crab cake, 2 coddies, fried clam strip, steamed clams, mac n' cheese, and onion rings.  The clams were just steamed, with a side of still congealed butter.  The crab cake was delicious as usual, so was the coddie.  The rest was to make sure the kids didn't leave hungry.