Need 5 PM Dinner around Dupont Circle

porcupine

If you are a beer fan they have Hopslam on tap now.

(I think Alan is talking about the Birreria, which is definitely _not_ a short walk from Dupont)

(but the Hopslam is indeed on at Birreria, and there's 1.5 kegs of it left as of last night)

(and it's delicious)

(I think Alan is talking about the Birreria, which is definitely _not_ a short walk from Dupont)

(but the Hopslam is indeed on at Birreria, and there's 1.5 kegs of it left as of last night)

(and it's delicious)

Woops, my bad. Yes, I was referring to Birreria.

Thanks for the replies, all. I've been taking a class in the Dupont area for a few weeks now, which of course means an excuse/opportunity to try restaurants. On the night in question, with MrP home sick, I ended up at Pizzeria Paradiso. Haven't had an atomica in years. I keep going to 2 Amys instead, which is a mistake, because I love PP, too. I'm not arguing that one is better than the other, just that I love them both.

We've also had great meals at the bar at Mark and Orlando's, Pesce, and Tabard Inn, which despite being positively jumping at 9:00 on a weeknight deserves more attention than it gets. Bistro du Coin was disappointing. Think I had a sausage and bean dish that was half warm and half cold, like someone forgot to stir while heating it. I've had fun at BdC in the past, but I continue to believe that it's better late at night, when I'm tired and not as critical and likely half-sloshed and having a good time to begin with.

The only real miss was at Giovanni Trattu, which would be a nice place for a not-challenging, hits-the-spot kind of meal if the entrees were 1/3 the price. At $18ish, they sucked. One dimensional pesto on horribly heavy and gluey potato gnocchi; a boring agnolotti that at least wasn't overcooked, in an unremarkable red sauce. A side dish of polenta was every bit as good as the instant stuff in a box I cook when I'm feeling lazy and in need of comfort food, which is to say, it wasn't worth paying for.