Burro Grill, Spout Run in North Arlington - Closed

Burro Grill is now open in the Lyon Village shopping center in Arlington. It looks like a limited menu: Burrito; Fajita Wrap; Burrito Bowl; Quesadilla; Tacos (steak, chicken, carnitas, or mahi mahi); Salad Bowl; and Chili Cheese Nachos. Everything is only $5.90, except the nachos which ring up at $4.90. They also offer a selection of hamburgers (btween $3.20 and $5.50), which sounds like a dubious combination in a Mexican place, but I will reserve judgment until I get a chance to eat there. They also are running a catering business. They promise: garden fresh produce; lean steak and skinless chicken; no canned ingedients; no microwaves; and salsas and guacamole made fresh every day. This spot is not as cursed a location as the current Tap & Vine building, but I have trouble remembering any successful business lasting there for too long, restaurant or otherwise.

The menu at Burro Grill says they first opened in 1993, which obviously doesn't apply to the Arlington location that just opened, so I asked if there was another location. The person behind the counter said there's also one at 2000 Penn. The Burro. (And looks like the 2000 Penn Burro is/was related to the one that used to be in Dupont Circle a long time ago.)

The menu at Burro Grill says they first opened in 1993, which obviously doesn't apply to the Arlington location that just opened, so I asked if there was another location. The person behind the counter said there's also one at 2000 Penn. The Burro. (And looks like the 2000 Penn Burro is/was related to the one that used to be in Dupont Circle a long time ago.)

When I first moved to DC in 2001, I used to love to go to the Burro Grill in Dupont.

The menu at Burro Grill says they first opened in 1993, which obviously doesn't apply to the Arlington location that just opened, so I asked if there was another location. The person behind the counter said there's also one at 2000 Penn.

So this explains it. I saw the 1993 date on the menu, and asked a person stocking the cooler when they opened. He said "two weeks ago," and when I asked if there were other Burro Grills, a language barrier got in the way, but he eventually nodded his head and said yes. I've been to the 2000 Penn location a couple of times, and remember liking it.

Question: Is The Burro at 2000 Penn in the same ballpark as The Well-Dressed Burrito? I vaguely recall them being comparable (tucked-away alley things serving decent burritos), but it's been so long since I've been to either one that I honestly don't remember.

And Mr. Day's' "Rally in the Alley?" How's that going these days?

How is it?

I didn't order anything, but they still have Astro Boy videos playing on the four pop-out TV screens left over from Wasabi Sito. Quite honestly, from the looks of things, I'm not inspired to try it anytime soon - and I know that sounds harsh, but the whole operation looks pretty sewn-together and stillborn to me.

So the answer is yes and Missy Frederick reports that it's being replaced by another branch of The Burger Joint.

This is great news for residents of that area of Lee Highway, especially if BGR can maintain their high quality despite relatively rapid expansion in the last year.