Bone Marrow

While I realize that bone marrow disgusts many people, it is one of my favorite - and most decadent - things to eat. I've had it at Montouris on P Street but that place is now closed. Does anybody know of any other restaurant (preferably French) in the area that serves it? Please help me satisfy this craving.

While I realize that bone marrow disgusts many people, it is one of my favorite - and most decadent - things to eat. I've had it at Montouris on P Street but that place is now closed. Does anybody know of any other restaurant (preferably French) in the area that serves it? Please help me satisfy this craving.

Blue Duck Tavern, BLT Steak, Ray's The Steaks, and Ray's Hell-Burger all come to mind, although Blue Duck Tavern is the only one I'm certain of that serves it alone, as an appetizer, as opposed to a condiment.

Commonwealth used to serve it, though it is not French and I found the price disproportionate to the quantity served. On the other hand, it works well with good Brit beers.

Also

Do you really think marrow disgusts most people?

About a month ago, I had the osso bucco at Zeffirelli's in Herndon. The dish was unbelievably good, and the meat was fall-off-the-bone juicy and tender. But the capstone of this excellent dish was digging the marrow out and schmearing it on the warm bread that accompanied the meal. Wow.

Blue Duck Tavern, BLT Steak, Ray's The Steaks, and Ray's Hell-Burger all come to mind, although Blue Duck Tavern is the only one I'm certain of that serves it alone, as an appetizer, as opposed to a condiment.

I went to Blue Duck Tavern last night specifically for the bone marrow. I was momentarily heart-broken to learn that the dish was only available in the main restaurant and not at the bar but the waiter allowed us to order it anyway. The bones were nice and think, cut length wise and perfectly prepared (the addition of a whole roasted head of garlic was a nice touch). To go along with the marrow we got some Iberico ham (!) and an assortment of cheeses. Throw in a couple drinks and it was perfect evening in a very nice setting. This was my first time to Blue Duck Tavern but I will definitely be back.

Of all the items that were available at Ray's the Classics when it first opened, the one I miss the most was the side of bone marrow that came with some of the steaks. That's what really won me over at RtC.

However, it's SO easy to make your own at home! That's what we do when we have a craving. There's a description of the process in Jenifer Mclagan's cookbook "Bones" but there's not much too it. Heat up the oven. Toss in the bones. Season. Scoop and eat. Yum!