Duck Eggs, Quail Eggs

My own knowledge is limited, but I understand that duck eggs are more of a seasonal product than chicken eggs are. There may be some local farmers who sell them, but I don't know of any in this area. My one and only attempt to obtain some last year ended in failure, and I haven't tried again, so far.

There are plenty of dry-salty duck eggs at the Asian markets. :D But I don't think that's what you meant. However, I thought I saw some at Dupont Farmers Market during the summer last year. Anna Blume - can you confirm??
Tom of Waterview sells duck eggs in the left-hand corner of the PNC parking lot on Sunday mornings at Dupont Circle, under an umbrella tent. Supplies limited, so it's best to go as early as 9 am on a sunny day.

Also, marketfan could tell you the name of the fowl guy who sells both duck and goose eggs at the market on U & 14th on Saturdays. (He's also got muscovy ducks, hatched, grown and hatcheted, for $25 upward.)

Curious, DO, what do you plan to do with them?

I am very lucky to get duck eggs from a dear friend who keeps both ducks and chickens. She has two runner ducks, a Khaki Campbell and a black and white spotted mutt duck. I cannot tell the diference in the eggs among the breeds as I can with her chicken eggs (Auricanas, Barred Rocks and a single Rhode Island Red).

These duck eggs are larger, egg-ier, and have firmer cooked yolks than her chicken eggs. They go very well with the usual breakfast items. I have also experimented with a bacon, frisee and fried duck egg salad which was tasty. It is true that all poultry (left to free range) slows down on egg laying in the winter months.

Out my way (upper MoCo), there are some signs out for fresh eggs--try rte 108 up through Damascus, or go on to one of the side roads (NOT one of the subdivision ones).

Tom of Waterview sells duck eggs in the left-hand corner of the PNC parking lot on Sunday mornings at Dupont Circle, under an umbrella tent. Supplies limited, so it's best to go as early as 9 am on a sunny day.

Also, marketfan could tell you the name of the fowl guy who sells both duck and goose eggs at the market on U & 14th on Saturdays. (He's also got muscovy ducks, hatched, grown and hatcheted, for $25 upward.)

Curious, DO, what do you plan to do with them?

I actually made a mistake - I need QUAIL eggs or small hen eggs. It is for a tasting menu - a garlic pasta with a one-minute egg halved on top of it. I will try some of the larger Whole Foods - have been to Wegmans and a smaller Whole Foods without luck so far. Thanks for the suggestions!

I actually made a mistake - I need QUAIL eggs or small hen eggs. It is for a tasting menu - a garlic pasta with a one-minute egg halved on top of it. I will try some of the larger Whole Foods - have been to Wegmans and a smaller Whole Foods without luck so far. Thanks for the suggestions!
The Whole Foods in Old Town has quail eggs.

The Korean grocer at Eastern Market sells them during the week.
If you can wait until Thursday afternoon, Sand Hill Farm at Penn Quarter farmers market sells them. Much less than grocery stores and a whole lot fresher. Snatch before Café Atlantico swoops in.
A common Thursday night dinner for me is a crab cake from Chris topped with a couple of fried quail eggs. I hard boil the rest (with white vinegar added to aid in peeling) and top with different types of salt and nibble on the rest throughout the evening.

The big Asian markets like Grand Mart usually have quail's eggs, but I've always been leery of buying them as there's never any kind of freshness indicator. They could have been laid three years ago. The Shenandoah Farms shop on Orkney Grade, VA-263, between Mount Jackson and Basye in Shenandoah County VA often has duck's eggs, but that probably doesn't help much, since you're in Washington seeking quail's eggs.

Anna Blume - has Tom of Waterview started selling duck eggs? Or can anyone recommend fresh duck eggs somewhere? I don't need it until 2 weeks (for a baby shower on the 25th), but I wanted to prep for it....

Thanks!

**PS. *Love* the index leleboo!!

Some wholefoods have quail eggs - the Silver Spring one used to be my main source, but sadly they have disappeared from the shelves a few months ago!

LB

Anna Blume - has Tom of Waterview started selling duck eggs? Or can anyone recommend fresh duck eggs somewhere? I don't need it until 2 weeks (for a baby shower on the 25th), but I wanted to prep for it....

Thanks!

**PS. *Love* the index leleboo!!

Thanks Waitman!

You always have to go first thing in the morning for duck eggs from Waterview.

Perhaps leleboo could change title to include goose eggs, but you can get those from Groff's Content Farm which sells at Silver Spring's farmers market on Saturdays (among others).

Perhaps leleboo could change title to include goose eggs, but you can get those from Groff's Content Farm which sells at Silver Spring's farmers market on Saturdays (among others).

What are goose eggs like, please? I don't think I've ever even seen any, and I've certainly never knowingly eaten one.

What are goose eggs like, please? I don't think I've ever even seen any, and I've certainly never knowingly eaten one.

Err, they're very big. Ergo, yolks are even bigger than the yolks of duck eggs which are bigger than the eggs of chickens. So, results would be richer, more orange and more dangerous to consume for those who must watch their intake of cholesterol. I am waiting for the French stuffed vegetable with a crest to post pics of a fabulous creme brulee if that wouldn't be a trifle too pedestrian.

N.B. Tom of Waterview (Dupont Circle FFM) says his supply of duck eggs has started to increase. I forgot to ask if these are from the new black ducklings he decided to raise last year.