Quiet, a little bit romantic, with an excellent beer selection?

Murphie

Enology comes to mind for right now, but can't remember the noise level part. It may not be most romantic as it is modern romantic, because I can't remember, but I like the ambience.

Thanks. Noise level is the big issue. Reviews mention Enology as "chatty", which I read as "medium". I'm really looking for something on the quieter side of the scale. It doesn't have to be a tomb, but low key.

Vidalia usually has a couple good things on tap, and I don't remember it being too loud.

Breadsoda on a weekend afternoon before it gets busy? :D

Reef's rooftop deck, again in non-primetime slots (this might be your best bet if the timing works...the views are pretty cool, and they have a very solid tap list).

Maybe this isn't what you had in mind by "north of downtown," but what about Brasserie Beck?
I'm not thinking of Beck as a quiet destination, save, perhaps, for the first few minutes after opening.

Might check and see what Ardeo (not Bardeo, though that's a thought) has in their coolers. They seem committed to a broad selection of beverages and it's relatively quiet and romantic.

Looking for suggestions in DC north of downtown, or close in MD. Low ambient noise levels are important because one of the parties has a hearing impairment. Thanks

Palena in Cleveland Park should fit the bill. It's a fairly quite, romantic place most of the time, and the bar has a pretty decent beer selection (the bartender Scott worked at Lost Dog in Arlington for years and is pretty knowledgable about beer). Central and CityZen (neither of which are north of downtown) also have decent beer selections and are quite (sometimes) and romantic (I suppose). The problem is most of the restaurants and bars in the DC area that have a good beer selection aren't exactly quiet and romantic, which shows that there's a niche to fill. The New York Times had an interesting article on restaurants waking up to the importance of quality craft beers and imports that touched on this subject a little.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/dining/r...ml?_r=1&hpw

The problem is most of the restaurants and bars in the DC area that have a good beer selection aren't exactly quiet and romantic, which shows that there's a niche to fill.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/24/dining/r...ml?_r=1&hpw

I think Drew sums up the basic issue. I like DR's 1905 recommendation. I'm also going to follow up with Ardeo and see what they say about beers, and Palena may be just fine. I'm also wondering about Cafe Domuku, while funky it has some good beers and some of the seating is relaxed, loungey sort of things that could be a bit romantic ,if I remember correctly. I've only been in off hours during daylight though.

I'm not thinking of Beck as a quiet destination, save, perhaps, for the first few minutes after opening.

Might check and see what Ardeo (not Bardeo, though that's a thought) has in their coolers. They seem committed to a broad selection of beverages and it's relatively quiet and romantic.

Ardeo is serving Troeg's "Troegenator" Double Bock, Troeg's "Hopback" Amber Ale, Victory "Prima Pils" Pilsner, Bear Republic "Racer 5" I.P.A., Abita "Purple Haze" Raspberry Wheat, Buckler (non-alcoholic), Heinken, and Amstel Light.

Actually... not sure about the beer selection, but I'm surprised no one mentioned Tabard Inn.

Y'know, last coupla times I've been there, it wasn't quiet at all. At nine o'clock on a Tuesday evening I could hardly hear my friends talking. But then maybe that has more to do with hearing loss than restaurant acoustics.