Birthday dinner with 15-month old

mojoman

My cousin, her husband, and their 15-month old daughter will be staying with us later this month. I'm planning on doing most of the cooking but I'm going to take her out for her birthday.

Not being kid-friendly myself, I have no ideas. Could y'all recommend a restaurant more interesting than a chain, no more than $50 pp out the door, kid-friendly, and hopefully in the MoCo or NW DC area. Her birthday is on a Monday.

Any ideas?

TIA

My cousin, her husband, and their 15-month old daughter will be staying with us later this month. I'm planning on doing most of the cooking but I'm going to take her out for her birthday.

Not being kid-friendly myself, I have no ideas. Could y'all recommend a restaurant more interesting than a chain, no more than $50 pp out the door, kid-friendly, and hopefully in the MoCo or NW DC area. Her birthday is on a Monday.

Any ideas?

TIA

If you hadn't said Monday, I might have suggested Ray's the Classics, but they're closed Monday.

What about Dino? Very kid-friendly, and on Monday you have TWO choices of discount meals: 3 courses for $35 (almost the run of the menu) or 3 courses for $24 (more limited menu).

Any ideas?

TIA

I suggest you hire my daughter to babysit at our house, and then wander over to Commonwealth for a few kid-free pints and the sweetbreads.

I find that 15mos olds love hummus, so how about one of the recommended places in MoCo with tapas or Mediterranean? They are always kid-friendly. I think I was a bit daring, but it worked to take gebaby to Hook at around 15mos and he enjoyed fish and bread, so that may be another option. Or Firefly, as Chef Danny has a kids menu, I believe. I feel like Rockville Town Center may be a good option, as you all can sit outside (weather-permitting) and she can watch all the activity without worrying about how kid-friendly the inside really is...

Dino. Dino does a wonderful job with kids. (It helps that my kid would eat an entire meal of pickles if I let him).

Tapas--Jaleo in Bethesda? BLToddler loved tapas at that age.

Central was baby friendly but we haven't gone in a while.

What is your cousin's tolerence level for going out with baby?

Thanks all. One of my coworkers recommended Austin Grill...they have high chairs, are noisy etc. My relatives do like Mexican.

I know it's chainey but....?

No.

For Mexican, I would go to Uncle Julio's in Bethesda or even Cactus Cantina before setting foot in Austin Grill, but these are not special at all. If you're looking for SW Montgomery County, patio dining might be a good call. Not all of these have patios, but maybe call Black's Bar and Kitchen, Green Papaya, Mia's Pizza, Lia's, Amici Miei, Seven Seas, or Inka's Empire - just ask if they have high chairs, and if they do, you'll probably be safe.