Best American-Style Chinese restaurant?

FVT

My father-in-law is visiting from Minnesota. He loves Chinese food so I would like to take him to a really good restaurant (food + decor). His tastes are decidedly American-Chinese, so all I want is someplace that uses superb, fresh ingredients and can expertly execute standard dishes like orange beef, dumplings, etc. For comparative purposes -- I have tried Mark's Duck House but would like to find some place a little better. We live in Virginia so a bonus if the restaurant is in VA, but for the right restaurant we are willing to drive a bit of distance. Thanks in advance!

My father-in-law is visiting from Minnesota. He loves Chinese food so I would like to take him to a really good restaurant (food + decor). His tastes are decidedly American-Chinese, so all I want is someplace that uses superb, fresh ingredients and can expertly execute standard dishes like orange beef, dumplings, etc. For comparative purposes -- I have tried Mark's Duck House but would like to find some place a little better. We live in Virginia so a bonus if the restaurant is in VA, but for the right restaurant we are willing to drive a bit of distance. Thanks in advance!

Hong Kong Palace, and it's hiking distance from Mark's. Tell Melony you want things toned down a bit.

Don't know where in Virginia you're looking, but if it's the traditional Americanized Chinese cuisine that has sustained America for a century, I have two winners for you. Asian Grill in Springfield and House of Dynasty near Hayfield High School on Telegraph Rd. in Alexandria. These are the places that define Americanized Chinese food, and they are pretty gosh-darned good. Ho's Dynasty in Burke, owned by the cousin of the guy who owns Asian Grill, is a close runner-up in this category.