Pork Slap Ale and Moo Thunder Stout

TedE

Another odd find at Cairo (first showed up about a month ago, got a second six pack last night): Porkslap Ale from Butternuts brewery in upstate NY. Billed as a farmhouse ale, but not at all in the traditional sense. Just a solid American pale ale with a touch of added spice.

Oh, and it's in cans. I'm really digging good craft beer in cans these days.

Another odd find at Cairo (first showed up about a month ago, got a second six pack last night): Porkslap Ale from Butternuts brewery in upstate NY. Billed as a farmhouse ale, but not at all in the traditional sense. Just a solid American pale ale with a touch of added spice.

Oh, and it's in cans. I'm really digging good craft beer in cans these days.

I am seeing their beers popping up quite a bit around DC lately. I recently tried the Moo Thunder Stout and was not impressed. Tasted very watery to me.

Butternut Pork Slap Ale is still the canned micro champion in my book.

I went to The Pug on H St for the first time last week and was delighted to see Pork Slap on offer. I had previously only seen it in stores (and only at Cairo which is no longer a block from my house :( ). Last night at H St Country Club I had their Moo Thunder Stout for the first time; I could never find it in stores with Pork Slap. Wow. My opinion of the brewery is not diminished. They may have silly names, come in a can and are fronted by a website that looks like a Fisher Price playset, but these are some seriously good brews.

So, we've got the bars covered ...

Anybody happen to spot six-packs around town? They were on and off at Cairo Liquors for a while, and I believe I saw them at deVino's at one point, but no luck lately. I'll admit I haven't been looking very hard

So, we've got the bars covered ...

Anybody happen to spot six-packs around town? They were on and off at Cairo Liquors for a while, and I believe I saw them at deVino's at one point, but no luck lately. I'll admit I haven't been looking very hard

Saw it at Bell's the other week. Don't know if it's still there.

WF on P St now carries the full range of Butternuts offerings. Aside from the aforementioned Pork Slap and Moo Thunder there are a weisse beer and an IPA (I haven't tried either).

Their Snapperhead IPA is very tasty as well. I get it at Beer Run here in Charlottesville as well as at the Red Derby

I saw 6-packs of Pork Slap at Rodman's in Friendship Heights yesterday.

I have been underwhelmed by the Moo Thunder Stout. (purchased in can "to go" from Rustico). It tastes tinny and thin to me, not drinking straight from the can, but rather from one of my regular beer glasses. Anyone had this stuff recently that can say whether quality may or may not have slipped?

Anyone had this stuff recently that can say whether quality may or may not have slipped?

I have not had it recently. I had the pale ale and stout when they first came out as I am always looking for good canned beer. Butternut seem to bee too focused on the marketing with the silly name and Monty Pythonesque web site. Wacky marketing is OK with me when there is substance a la Dogfish Head, but I found these beers not to be very good. I don't have notes and it has been a while. However, I am not alone based on the postings I have seen here and at other sites. Oskar Blues is arguably the leader of the pack in canned micro beer but there are many good ones out there such as Sea Hag and 21st Amendment, all available locally . For what it's worth, macro brews Guinness and Beamish in cans are both pretty good as are some other Europeans such as Boddington's and Speckled Hen.