DC Restaurant Week: Summer 2011

diningindc

On my DC Restaurant Examiner page, I have compiled the Menus for DC's Winter Restaurant Week, Janurary 11-17. You will find listings and descriptions of participating restaurants and their menus. Lunch (3 courses $20.10); Dinner (3 courses $35.10). I have also included my DC Restaurant Week Top Ten Picks and Tips on how to chose RW restaurants wisely and get the best bang for your buck.

On my DC Restaurant Examiner page, I have compiled the Menus for DC's Winter Restaurant Week, Janurary 11-17. You will find listings and descriptions of participating restaurants and their menus. Lunch (3 courses $20.10); Dinner (3 courses $35.10). I have also included my DC Restaurant Week Top Ten Picks and Tips on how to chose RW restaurants wisely and get the best bang for your buck.

Very helpful. Thanks for posting.

Forgive me if I am out of line, but I am curious as to if there is *any* way RW meals can be a to-go deal or would any restaurant allow this? I am currently on an hourly project that economics would disallow dine-in, but allot enough time for a quick take-out. Yes, this defeats the purpose of atmosphere, the meal, not to be mention maybe being shot for even mentioning this, but I am rather curious about this....

If you have a reseravtion for 5 people at 6pm, please show up at 6 pm {or at lest no later than 6:15} with 5 people. Not three at 7pm. And be nice to the folk with late reservations and realize that your meal really started at 6pm since that is when we planned on your being here. We took you at your word! Especially on a Friday night. Especially during restaurant week.

And to the person who no showed on Thursday night, then made a reservation and no showed again on Friday..... please! Two other groups of people wanted to enjoy dinner here and you prevented them from doing so. Not to mention taking money from the hard working waiters, runners and bussers, who are affected by your behavior as well.

Over 20% of our reservations last night either no showed, showed up 15 minutes early or late, or with a different number of people than the reservation was for. 8 groups of 4 or more cancelled their reservations after 3pm Friday for Friday night. At least that 8 parties called.

The concept is simple: a reservation is a courtesy the restarurant extends to you. So just be courteous and follow up on your part. How hard is it to call and say things change!

While no one had to wait more than 10 minuites after their party completed before being seated, the night was made much more difficult and walk ins were turned away. I would say tht the waiters bussers and runners took home 10% less than they should have. And they had to work harder to do it.

By the way, every reseravtion for 4 or more was called and confirmed.

Stepping down off of soapbox now!

I don't entirely agree with this statement (although I am sympathetic to the rest of your post).

All I mean is its something the restaurant extends to the customer for no charge. Amenity may be the better word.

Abusing the reservation process is like taking the bread in the bread basket and pouring it into your book bag and asking for more. Then putting a salt and pepper grinder in the same bag. Don't laugh.... that happened once! We charged thecustomer $140 for the salt and pepper grinder. You should have seen the look on their face, but they paid up without a word! We of course never knew who stole the other 16 or so sets that ahve been taken from our tables during service!

They really are nice salt and pepper grinders - I get compliments on them all the time!
Don asked me to inform you all that due to an unanticipated increase in the cost of running the board, there now will be a membership fee imposed. But the first 16 people who sign up for a full membership get a free salt and pepper grinder set!!! :angry:

Hello DR'ers! Just in case you have not heard. The DC Restaurant Week Summer 2010 dates have been announced.

As you known, DC Restaurant Week occurs twice a year usually during the slow restaurant season in the winter (usually January) and the late summer (usually August). Now various cities around the DC area are jumping in on the action with their own restaurant weeks, such as Alexandria, VA and Bethesda Chevy Chase , MD. Restaurants are typically slow around the holiday season and in the summertime when people take vacation away from the DC area. Many restaurants welcome Restaurant Week as a way to drum up new business. Summer’s Restaurant Week is coming! See below for the Summer 2010 Restaurant Week dates.

Also, don’t forget that restaurant week menus will be posted here, as usual. Restaurant Week Summer 2009 menus. Check back for an updated list of menus.

* Alexandria, VA Restaurant Week: August 20 – 29, 2010 ($35 Three-Course Dinners and $35 Dinners for Two)

* Bethesda Chevy Chase Restaurant Week: July 26 – August 1, 2010 ($12 or $15 Two-Course Lunches & $30 Three-Course Dinners)

* District of Columbia: August 16 – 22, 2010 (confirmed dates) 16th annual Washington, DC Restaurant Week from August 16-22, 2010, sponsored by Cadillac and American Express. Lunch: $20.10 for a three courses fixed-price meal. Dinner: $35.10 for a three-course fixed-price meal; Beverages, gratuity and tax are not included.

post-5765-127971792003_thumb.jpg

As soon as I saw the announcement of this summer's Restaurant Week, I realized it fell during the week of my birthday, so I decided I'd better make plans quickly. I discovered that the Oval Room is already booked on the Friday (20th) for prime hours. They have (and I tried the phone as well as Open Table) 5:30 and then 9:30, but in between isn't available. Neither of those works for us. So, I decided to go with a non-participating restaurant, and Corduroy is blocked out for the same hours. (Didn't call to see if they were holding tables back, but it seemed odd they'd be so full this far out when they're not doing RW and it's vacation time.) Third try was Proof, also not participating, and they have tables. I really hadn't planned on having to nail the arrangements down this early, but they're made now.

As soon as I saw the announcement of this summer's Restaurant Week, I realized it fell during the week of my birthday, so I decided I'd better make plans quickly. I discovered that the Oval Room is already booked on the Friday (20th) for prime hours. They have (and I tried the phone as well as Open Table) 5:30 and then 9:30, but in between isn't available. Neither of those works for us. So, I decided to go with a non-participating restaurant, and Corduroy is blocked out for the same hours. (Didn't call to see if they were holding tables back, but it seemed odd they'd be so full this far out when they're not doing RW and it's vacation time.) Third try was Proof, also not participating, and they have tables. I really hadn't planned on having to nail the arrangements down this early, but they're made now.

There's also Equinox for a non-participating :)

Lunch at Black Salt on Monday at noon was excellent. Especially the salmon and the mussels. The menu was geared for lunch.

Later in the week on Wednesday, The Oval Room was excellent. The presentation of each course was very well done and the desserts showed imagination. As a special treat before leaving the table, we were served a sparkling Rose in very cute glasses. The menu could have served for dinner as well.

However the $20.10 price in each case was double with the addition of a glass of wine or coffee.