Lunch with Grandma

plunk

Any suggestions on where we can take my 85 year old Grandmother for lunch in the Springfield / Burke / Annandale area? Grandma is not adventurous at all (baked ziti is about as exotic as she gets), so we're not about to take her to Pho Hot or Gom Ba Woo. We're sick of Spartans and San Vito's and are looking to branch out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Clyde's at Mark Center is a very safe bet and just up the road from Springfield/Annandale. In fact, that's where we went last weekend for my grandmother's 95th birthday. Their multiple dining rooms make for reasonable volume levels and they do have a wide variety of items on the menu, many featuring local, seasonal produce.

Actually, I would have recommended San Vito, given the general geography you asked for.

There's good American grub at Kilroy's, everything from a credible burger to a decent salad to some of my favorite wings. This place is underrated because it's known for the sports bar side, not the dining side. It's in the Ravensworth Plaza, which also has Swiss Bakery, where you can get Grandma some great soup and nicely prepared daily specials and other dishes, followed by some really nice sweets.

But grandma will love Delia's, on Backlick in Springfield. The unfortunate DR dining guide lists it under multiple locations because there is apparently another one that nobody ever heard of or goes to out west somewhere, but Delia's has some of the best pizza around, very good Greek food, and even Peruvian chicken by virtue of having bought the chicken place next door a few years ago and expanded into it. On weekends, Delia's offers brunch until 2pm. And yes, she can probably get baked ziti there.

All of these sound great - thank you for the suggestions.

Kibbee - say we end up at Delia's. What should I get? I'd probably be looking towards something sandwichy, rather than an "entree".

Sandwichy is better here than most things. The souvlaki (pork or chicken) is typically good, although I have had one with dry meat on occasion.

Despite the laughable claim on the menu "We Guarantee the Best Pizza on the East Coast!", the pizza is really only the best in < 1 mile radius. Bertucci's is much better.

Most of the other items on the menu are passable and you will go away full, just don't expect too much.

Sandwichy is better here than most things. The souvlaki (pork or chicken) is typically good, although I have had one with dry meat on occasion.

Despite the laughable claim on the menu "We Guarantee the Best Pizza on the East Coast!", the pizza is really only the best in < 1 mile radius. Bertucci's is much better.

Most of the other items on the menu are passable and you will go away full, just don't expect too much.

Mario Batagli would disagree with you on that pizza assertion.

I have gone a number of different directions here and they all ended up pleasant. The salads are fresh and abundant -- the Riviera is almost too much for someone to eat, but the Taverna Greek Salad with souvlaki on top hits the spot every time. My son loves the fried calamari appetizer and the pizza knuckles (if you don't order a regular pizza, here's nice little snack version), and my daughter loves the Fettucini Alfredo with chicken.

If there's a special on the board out front, consider it. It's likely to be good. And I saw lamb shanks go to another table recently, and they looked good enough to go over and ask for a bite.

On the sandwich side, you can't go wrong with the gyro, but I love club sandwiches and they do it as well as anyone.

Depending on when you go, especially during the week for lunch, you will notice the absolute benchmark for quality food in this area -- a table full of Fairfax County police sitting in the back section, enjoying their meal. You won't find that at Bertucci's.

Depending on when you go, especially during the week for lunch, you will notice the absolute benchmark for quality food in this area -- a table full of Fairfax County police sitting in the back section, enjoying their meal. You won't find that at Bertucci's.

Since when are cops the litmus test for a good eatery? To note that I have also seen many at Mike's and we know how you feel about that place. :(

eta: Also the book "Everybody Loves Pizza" was written by Penny Pollack & Jeff Ruby and it was the book that was endorsed by Mario Batali not the pizza. Seems like Delia's is taking some liberties.

The question is, do they have a brick oven in the Springfield location? They only seem to mention it on the web site in talking about their Alexandria restaurant.

Delia's was a success. Grandma felt like breakfast and was quite pleased with her waffle. I went with the meatball sub, and my wife got the peruvian chicken sub. Not enough sauce on the meatball sub for my tastes, but it was still pretty good. The chicken sub was the clear winner, especially since it came with both the white and green sauces on the side. Thank you all for the advice!

Delia's was a success. Grandma felt like breakfast and was quite pleased with her waffle. I went with the meatball sub, and my wife got the peruvian chicken sub. Not enough sauce on the meatball sub for my tastes, but it was still pretty good. The chicken sub was the clear winner, especially since it came with both the white and green sauces on the side. Thank you all for the advice!

You're likely to keep Delia's in your rotation. Glad you enjoyed it.

[Tonight for delivery with my kids, in addition to the requisite pizzas for them, I'm having the chicken cacciatore special....]