Bars near Rosslyn Palomar

qwertyy

I've got a week-long conference at the Palomar in Rosslyn next week where we're hosting 25 of my buddies in town from Africa. We'll be spending all of our days at the hotel, but I need evening plans for the good talks that happen after the scheduled stuff is over. I need bars and pubs in walking distance that aren't "scenes"--places where talking can happen, and I have one request for good Guinness on tap. I never leave my comfortable little DC realm, so I have embarrassingly little knowledge of Virginia, even Rosslyn. Help?

Incidentally, what I would really love is some sort of site where I could put in an address and I could get a map of all the bars and restaurants in the area. I'm going to be moving soon, so I'd love to get a rundown of all the bars and restaurants that are vying to be my new Local, but I'd also love to have this sort of resource available for nights when I have to plan for any other spot in the area I'm not already familiar with. Anyone know of a resource like this?

I've got a week-long conference at the Palomar in Rosslyn next week where we're hosting 25 of my buddies in town from Africa. We'll be spending all of our days at the hotel, but I need evening plans for the good talks that happen after the scheduled stuff is over. I need bars and pubs in walking distance that aren't "scenes"--places where talking can happen, and I have one request for good Guinness on tap. I never leave my comfortable little DC realm, so I have embarrassingly little knowledge of Virginia, even Rosslyn. Help?

Here is a map of all the bars/restaurants in Rosslyn. Only Continental Modern Pool Lounge is really a bar. Pola and Cafe Asia have bars also, but are probably too loud and crowded for what you want. Rosslyn does not have a good bar/pub scene. I suspect that most of that action has been sucked into the various hotels. I would walk across Key Bridge into Georgetown and sit downstairs at Pizzeria Paradiso. Here is a list of bars in Georgetown, if you want other options. If you do not feel like walking, it is a short cab ride.

Going to Georgetown is probably a good idea. The only place I can think of is closer to Courthouse and that's Rhodeside Grill. It would be less than a mile walk, just past Hell Burger on Wilson. I haven't been there in a while, so I'm not the best source of information. It might be too loud for your purposes. It doesn't look like they have a beer list on their menu.

Thanks for the recommendations, folks. We ended up becoming regulars at Continental, which, while not quiet, we made work and was a veritable Disneyland for friends in from every corner of the developing world. And it had Guinness (though not the best pour or lines).

Piola is a good international spot, and the bar there and next door at Cafe Asia are generally hopping.

I'd say I'm not a huge fan of either, but I should be specific:

I hate Piola. Passionately. Completely thanks to their "service". You can't pay me to go there ever again.

Cafe Asia I like for some of their food. Happy hour/bar service - much more helpful if you have a group or know a bartender. When I had gone in a small group, we got ignored for friends of the bartender.

I still go to Cafe Asia regularly for mee goreng though. I'm an addict. :(