Dining Near Fort Belvoir

DrXmus

I hope this isn't intruding into Don's "concierge service" territory, but I don't know anything about the area around the Fort. My buddy has come up for work a few times and suggested Bungalow's (Bungalow Billiards, I'm pretty sure) for a steak, but I'm not a steak guy and I'm not sure I want to eat a meal there. Does the DR braintrust have any suggestions around Fort Belvoir for a couple of dudes getting together for the first time in over 20 years?

Thanks for the help.

I'm thinking cevapcici is a reference to Cosmopolitan (my DH spent some time in Bosnia & he thinks it's pretty good) -there's also Thai Nakorn, El Paso, & Su Pollo-all located right on or off Cooper Rd., less than 3 miles from the main or back gate of Belvoir. There's the Officer's Club on post, I haven't eaten there in a long time, I've heard the lunch buffet at the golf course is better (but I haven't eaten there myself). Right out of the Beulah gate is Matsui Sushi, Olympians, Red Hot & Blue, Rice & Spice Thai, & Pho Bowl & right down the road in the Hayfield shopping center, Katana & House of Dynasty.

I'm thinking cevapcici is a reference to Cosmopolitan (my DH spent some time in Bosnia & he thinks it's pretty good) -there's also Thai Nakorn, El Paso, & Su Pollo-all located right on or off Cooper Rd., less than 3 miles from the main or back gate of Belvoir. There's also the Officer's Club on post, I haven't eaten there in a long time, I've heard the lunch buffet at the golf course is better (but I haven't eaten there myself). Right out of the Beulah gate is Matsui Sushi, Olympians, Red Hot & Blue, Rice & Spice Thai, & Pho Bowl & right down the road in the Hayfield shopping center, Katana & House of Dynasty.

Ding ding ding! House of Dynasty is your winner. This is Americanized Chinese like we all grew up with, with lots of MSG shine ... and if you want steak, order Crispy Beef, Sesame Beef or Orange Beef, and you will hit the beef wall faster and more satisfyingly than you will at Morton's, for about one-third of the price.

Thanks, all. Great suggestions, and complete, too! We're going to try Cosmopolitan. I have a feeling he was stationed in the Balkans at some point, so he thought the place looked "perfect". I'm psyched to try some of the dishes. Should I call ahead for the Burek?

You could try-I've never been there when it's been available. Despite it's odd location next to Gold's Gym, it's a very comfortable space & the service was excellent. My favorite part of the meal was that wonderful bread & cheese spread that comes with the meal. Hope you enjoy catching up with your friend...

You could try-I've never been there when it's been available.

Tom Seitsema's review said you have to call ahead for the Burek, but I think they were in their tiny joint back then. Their web site says the Bureks aren't on the menu. I'm not sure what any of that means.

Tom Seitsema's review said you have to call ahead for the Burek, but I think they were in their tiny joint back then. Their web site says the Bureks aren't on the menu. I'm not sure what any of that means.

There is this thing called a telephone. :)

BEATDOWN! BEATDOWN!

[This post will auto-destruct in six minutes.]

2 guys, you cannot go wrong w/ BBQ.

American BBQ is very close to Belvoir and is very good BBQ. However, it is not exacty sit down and hang for a long time type of place.

However, dixie bones also is good, bit further down the road, maybe 5 miles from the front gate towards lorton. You can sit and have pretty good BBQ. NC style pork is their best. Brisket and ribs are good but not great. Sides are good.

If you want to sit and chat, go down towards occocuan. There are couple of places on the river with great views and lots of stuff on tab. Food is mediocre but on a spring afternoon, you can't beat it.

Thanks for the ideas, all. I've been meaning to update everyone because I'm sure you were staying up nights wondering about where my bro-date was. We went to Cosmopolitan. He had Jaegerschnitzel and I had the aforementioned Ćevapčići. Man, that's good stuff! It was worth breaking a 20 year beef-fast for. Thanks, again, for the help. He'll be coming up the the Fort a few more times over the next year before deploying, so there's a good chance we'll hit all the suggestions.