What's In (On) a Wine Label?

dmwine

I'd like to pose a question to the wine lovers in this forum: How do YOU read a wine label? What is the relevant information you look for when deciding whether to buy a particular bottle? And what is the fluff you look beyond? I'm considering a column on this topic, and while I know what I respond to on a wine label, I'd like to hear your perspectives.

Obviously, the following are relevant, if not crucial:

* The producer (Winery, chateau, etc., although this sometimes blurs into "brand" ... )

* Grape variety

* Place of origin (Country, state, appellation, district, vineyard name, etc)

* Vintage year - perhaps less relevant for $5 "California" wines, but more so for high-end bottlings.

But what about some other information:

* Pretty picture/artwork (critters)

* Importer's name

* Alcohol content

* Back label blurbs

* Government warning(s)

* Ingredient labeling (if there - if not, should it be? By this I mean disclosure of additives, fining agents, oak chips, flavoring or barrels, etc.)

What other things do you look for when sizing up a bottle on the store shelf?

* Screwcap vs. cork? (No way to tell if it's a natural cork until too late, of course.)

* Bottle weight?

I think the first 4 items you list are critical - and I think the remaining items are unnecessary for the list. If a guest wants that info they can certainly ask to see the bottle before committing to it. When identifying the producer, if a winery offers a wine from the estate (Domaine) and as a negociant (Maison) that distinction should be noted as they are not the same wines. This is normally only an issue in Burgundy, but you have a similar situation for old Bordeaux that were bottled both by the estate and by trusted negociants . In that case it is the same wine, but different bottlers can have a qualitative difference. The only other item of info I have frequently seen on lists is the rating from the Wine Advocate and/or the International Wine Cellar and Wine Spectator. This can be very helpful to consumers, particularly when ordering wines from regions and varietals that they don't have an exhaustive knowledge of. I know some of the ipad lists have applications that allow you to access the full reviews of wines on the list.

I'd like to pose a question to the wine lovers in this forum: How do YOU read a wine label? What is the relevant information you look for when deciding whether to buy a particular bottle? And what is the fluff you look beyond? I'm considering a column on this topic, and while I know what I respond to on a wine label, I'd like to hear your perspectives.

Obviously, the following are relevant, if not crucial:

* The producer (Winery, chateau, etc., although this sometimes blurs into "brand" ... )

* Grape variety

* Place of origin (Country, state, appellation, district, vineyard name, etc)

* Vintage year - perhaps less relevant for $5 "California" wines, but more so for high-end bottlings.

But what about some other information:

* Pretty picture/artwork (critters)

* Importer's name

* Alcohol content

* Back label blurbs

* Government warning(s)

* Ingredient labeling (if there - if not, should it be? By this I mean disclosure of additives, fining agents, oak chips, flavoring or barrels, etc.)

What other things do you look for when sizing up a bottle on the store shelf?

* Screwcap vs. cork? (No way to tell if it's a natural cork until too late, of course.)

* Bottle weight?

Perhaps the most exciting aspect of buying wine in the DC-metropolitan area these days is the variety of small, boutique importers. But that's another story - and thread.

Mark - thanks for your insights; I'm also planning a "how to read a wine list" column, and you touch on that from both the collector/diner and restaurateur viewpoints.

Any other considerations on the label when buying retail? %ABV? Bottle weight? Do you look for bottling information (estate bottled)? Anything else?

Perhaps the most exciting aspect of buying wine in the DC-metropolitan area these days is the variety of small, boutique importers. But that's another story - and thread.

Mark - thanks for your insights; I'm also planning a "how to read a wine list" column, and you touch on that from both the collector/diner and restaurateur viewpoints.

Any other considerations on the label when buying retail? %ABV? Bottle weight? Do you look for bottling information (estate bottled)? Anything else?

Vintage (but you have to know the vintages)

Anything over 14% ABV is suspect

The heavier the bottle, the worse the wine (and the smaller the penis of the winemaker)

Depends on circumstance - for a quick buy in an unfamiliar store, I do bottle-twirls and look for importer. In a sea of unknowns, I look for vintage and ABV% (preferring "lean" vintages for young wines, and quite frankly, the closer to 12% the better).

Obviously I'd like to know if it's a Barbera or a Riesling. Producer is nice, too. :)

Great question!

Understanding the market where you buy the bottle is helpful too. DC allows gray market - without going into all of the details a retailer can skip the local wholesaler and direct import. You have no idea where that bottle was before coming to the retailer. It could have sat on a loading dock in a non temperature controlled manner increasing the chance of heat damage. If the bottle follows the "normal" supply chain the potential negative issues decrease. If the back label is not in English or is missing - the bottle is probably gray. NY and CA bypass the importer by putting something like "obtained from a private collection..." on the import label. Also a foreign tax stamp on top of the bottle is a good indicator that the bottle was not meant for export but it could also mean laziness at the winery...

There is a tremendous amount of information you can tell by looking at a bottle and even cork.

"The Wine Bible" is the best book to read when you first start learning about wine.

Understanding the market where you buy the bottle is helpful too. DC allows gray market - without going into all of the details a retailer can skip the local wholesaler and direct import. You have no idea where that bottle was before coming to the retailer. It could have sat on a loading dock in a non temperature controlled manner increasing the chance of heat damage. If the bottle follows the "normal" supply chain the potential negative issues decrease. If the back label is not in English or is missing - the bottle is probably gray. NY and CA bypass the importer by putting something like "obtained from a private collection..." on the import label. Also a foreign tax stamp on top of the bottle is a good indicator that the bottle was not meant for export but it could also mean laziness at the winery...

Do you happen to work for a wholesaler? I ask because my experience is that reputable wine stores in DC use reefer containers to import wine directly from Europe. I also know of more than a few examples where what you call normal supply chain (others might call it monopolistic) are the absolute worst offenders. Two examples, first is the container of either the 06 or 07 Las Rocas Vinas Viejas that received the highest accolades by Parker sat and cooked on the dock, this was not done by someone on the gray market, but the importer (one person who would know, told me they held the wine hoping to be able to increase demand and increase the price). The other would be a well respected importer whose distributer in Virginia stores his wines in a non-climate controlled warehouse; I pass his wines by in the Commonwealth, but will snap them up pretty much everywhere else.

Here's my perspective (from a decidedly-non expert wine lover):

What I use wine labels for is very situation dependent. The less expert I am about a particular wine region, producer, or bottle, the more important the label "shortcuts" are to me. And vice versa. And by shortcuts I mean bits of information that help you predict ahead of time what your experience with that wine is going to be like when you drink it. If I've had the 2007 Bosquet des Papes Chateauneuf-du-Pape 3 times already and I'm buying my fourth bottle, it doesn't matter to me too much what the ABV is...I already know what my experience with the wine will be. On the other hand, if I'm browsing through bottles of Southern Italian reds, about which I know next to nothing, I start paying a lot more attention to what's on the label.

Similarly, the more trust I have in the retailer I'm purchasing from, the less important the label shortcuts are. My browsing behavior is very different in Cork Market or Ansonia than it is in Calvert Woodley. Not saying anything bad about Calvert Woodley, it's just that the first two are smaller shops and I already know that my tastes have a lot in common with those of the owners.

Of the second list, alcohol content and importer's name are the most important to me, since most wines above a certain ABV aren't appealing to me, and as many others have already mentioned, I have a list of importers in my mind, just like retailers, who I trust.

Another minor little shortcut I use for convenience is bottle shape. If I'm looking for a Bordeaux, a Burgundy, and an Alsatian, bottle shape helps me zero in on the right section of the French aisle pretty quickly.

Do you happen to work for a wholesaler? I ask because my experience is that reputable wine stores in DC use reefer containers to import wine directly from Europe. I also know of more than a few examples where what you call normal supply chain (others might call it monopolistic) are the absolute worst offenders. Two examples, first is the container of either the 06 or 07 Las Rocas Vinas Viejas that received the highest accolades by Parker sat and cooked on the dock, this was not done by someone on the gray market, but the importer (one person who would know, told me they held the wine hoping to be able to increase demand and increase the price). The other would be a well respected importer whose distributer in Virginia stores his wines in a non-climate controlled warehouse; I pass his wines by in the Commonwealth, but will snap them up pretty much everywhere else.

Collector.

There are no guarantees to any bottle but i have found more "cooked" or "off" wines that are gray. To me there is a dishonesty in gray bottles but I own a lot. If you want something that might be your only way to obtain it. Like your example - understanding the players in the market can help make a smart decision.

I agree with the first four *, yet vintages are for those who keep up on the reviews. which of course leads to the magazine in hand buyer. the one who periodically picks up a 'wine' article and takes it directly to the store and says 'you got this in stock? get me a case.' i will never forget when RP's reviews came out about Shotfire Ridge back in the day along with the fact of their price point being so low at the time, and Fran Kysela couldn't keep it anywhere in stock. I think the importer plays a big role in not only what they bring to the table, but as well as to how the wine is treated in its travels. some are very strict for which their wines are cared for, others could acre less as long as the check is in the mail.

I love wine, but I know less about wine than probably everyone who's posted here so far, so maybe my perspective will be helpful for your article. I have no clue which importers are good and which aren't, so that means nothing to me. I don't know much about specific producers to select, although I know enough to stay away from the Yellowtails and Little Penguin's of the world.

About region...If I'm looking for a sauvignon blanc, I might go over to the French whites and select something from Loire Valley, and I know that I tend to particularly like wines from Sancerre...But I don't know anything deeper than that...The Chateau (is that right? Or is it appellation? Both?) that it's coming from means nothing to me. At that point I might check the alcohol content (something I didn't realize was important until I started reading this board). After that, I'm just going with an overall "feel" (which includes the look of the label) and the price. In another example, if I see a wine that is a Cotes-Du-Rhone, I think "this is a blend of grapes that is probably easily drinkable and food-friendly." Beyond that, I don't know.

Something that plays a role is if there is a blurb about the wine on the back of the label. I can't tell you the difference between a wine that has the aroma of gooseberry vs one that has the aroma of wild cherry, but I like if it's listed there. I feel like it tells me something about the attention to detail of the producer. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. For instance, I recently bought a bottle of 2007 Anne Amie Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley. I have never tried this wine and didn't know anything about it other than what was on the label before I bought it (weird fairy-tale like picture on the label, by the way). One of the reasons I bought it was because the back label lists the soil types the grapes were grown in. I know that the type of soil matters, although I don't know which soils are most suitable for which grapes. But the very fact that it's there means they're not trying to hide anything and I think it suggests a level of pride and attention to detail in what they produce. I also have had generally good luck getting pinot's from Willamette Valley and have a general understanding that they tend to be more in the Burgundian style (which I think means it won't taste like grape juice! :) )

So region and grape matter probably the most, then other aspects of the label like alcohol content, blurb about what it tastes like, and I like an overall clean look to the label. Specific producers only matter to me after I've tried the wine.

I love wine, but I know less about wine than probably everyone who's posted here so far, so maybe my perspective will be helpful for your article. I have no clue which importers are good and which aren't, so that means nothing to me. I don't know much about specific producers to select, although I know enough to stay away from the Yellowtails and Little Penguin's of the world.

About region...If I'm looking for a sauvignon blanc, I might go over to the French whites and select something from Loire Valley, and I know that I tend to particularly like wines from Sancerre...But I don't know anything deeper than that...The Chateau (is that right? Or is it appellation? Both?) that it's coming from means nothing to me. At that point I might check the alcohol content (something I didn't realize was important until I started reading this board). After that, I'm just going with an overall "feel" (which includes the look of the label) and the price. In another example, if I see a wine that is a Cotes-Du-Rhone, I think "this is a blend of grapes that is probably easily drinkable and food-friendly." Beyond that, I don't know.

Something that plays a role is if there is a blurb about the wine on the back of the label. I can't tell you the difference between a wine that has the aroma of gooseberry vs one that has the aroma of wild cherry, but I like if it's listed there. I feel like it tells me something about the attention to detail of the producer. Maybe it does and maybe it doesn't. For instance, I recently bought a bottle of 2007 Anne Amie Pinot Noir from the Willamette Valley. I have never tried this wine and didn't know anything about it other than what was on the label before I bought it (weird fairy-tale like picture on the label, by the way). One of the reasons I bought it was because the back label lists the soil types the grapes were grown in. I know that the type of soil matters, although I don't know which soils are most suitable for which grapes. But the very fact that it's there means they're not trying to hide anything and I think it suggests a level of pride and attention to detail in what they produce. I also have had generally good luck getting pinot's from Willamette Valley and have a general understanding that they tend to be more in the Burgundian style (which I think means it won't taste like grape juice! :) )

So region and grape matter probably the most, then other aspects of the label like alcohol content, blurb about what it tastes like, and I like an overall clean look to the label. Specific producers only matter to me after I've tried the wine.

once you find a bottle you really like try and remember the importer [also called broker]. you will probably like other wines in the importer's portfolio. this is the same concept for reviews and reviewers. if both an importer and reviewer work for you then you probably have similar palates and both become invaluable resources for you. it is the first step in becoming self sufficient.

The heavier the bottle, the worse the wine (and the smaller the penis of the winemaker)

I don't think Joe will let me quote you on this one, Don!

This conversation is very interesting to me. I don't think I've ever looked at the ABV on a bottle of wine.

Another question, then: Would folks find it helpful if I list the %ABV in my WaPo reviews?? I do usually list importers, especially if they are also the distributor.

The word "Modesto" on the back label is an instant deal-breaker.

And yet people buy those wines by the Gallo(n). :)

Thanks for all the insights - this is quite helpful!

Another question, then: Would folks find it helpful if I list the %ABV in my WaPo reviews?? I do usually list importers, especially if they are also the distributor.

I would be interested but how will you obtain them? The reason I ask is because I recently had a wine that seemed really high in alcohol compared to previous vintages. By chance I spoke with the winemaker and he told me the actual percent which was 1% higher than the label. I have heard the labels are printed in advance and you will never see the actual number maybe that is handled in the phrase "by volume"??

I could not believe how much a difference 1% made! I don't normally get buzzed off a single glass of wine but my face was instantly flushed and could just fill the effects right away.

I would be interested but how will you obtain them? The reason I ask is because I recently had a wine that seemed really high in alcohol compared to previous vintages. By chance I spoke with the winemaker and he told me the actual percent which was 1% higher than the label. I have heard the labels are printed in advance and you will never see the actual number maybe that is handled in the phrase "by volume"??

I could not believe how much a difference 1% made! I don't normally get buzzed off a single glass of wine but my face was instantly flushed and could just fill the effects right away.

Federal law allows a 1.5% tolerance on the label for wines below 14% and a 1% tolerance for wines at 14% or over. Dave, this is a very helpful link on label basics: http://www.winepros.org/consumerism/labels.htm

Federal law allows a 1.5% tolerance on the label for wines below 14% and a 1% tolerance for wines at 14% or over. Dave, this is a very helpful link on label basics: http://www.winepros.org/consumerism/labels.htm

Indeed, the alcohol percentage noted on the label tends to be imprecise for the reasons stated here. (They can also be hard to find, printed in very small type.) And I certainly would not have the chemical wherewithal to verify alcohol levels (I barely have enough time to write the darn columns!) I asked a winemaker once if there is a test-strip kind of device that would be an easy way to verify alcohol levels, like checking the chlorine in your swimming pool, but he wasn't aware of any way other than sending to a lab for analysis. Anyone know of an easy method?

Don is not the only one who purposely avoids wines over a certain alcohol level. Given the wiggle room allowed by federal regulations, would it be useful to have the alcohol (as stated on the label) included in WaPo reviews, or would those who care simply make that decision at the store when they see the label in person?

Indeed, the alcohol percentage noted on the label tends to be imprecise for the reasons stated here. (They can also be hard to find, printed in very small type.) And I certainly would not have the chemical wherewithal to verify alcohol levels (I barely have enough time to write the darn columns!) I asked a winemaker once if there is a test-strip kind of device that would be an easy way to verify alcohol levels, like checking the chlorine in your swimming pool, but he wasn't aware of any way other than sending to a lab for analysis. Anyone know of an easy method?

Don is not the only one who purposely avoids wines over a certain alcohol level. Given the wiggle room allowed by federal regulations, would it be useful to have the alcohol (as stated on the label) included in WaPo reviews, or would those who care simply make that decision at the store when they see the label in person?

I am to assume that the reviews are in many ways to hoepfully get people outside of the box, and into something less mainstream. Todays article for example I thought was well stated on many levels. if only some small criticisms of Mr. Kacher is that several of his wines are already spoken for before they hit the docks, but his prescence in our area is a blessing. The wines that were listed seemingly are outside of mainstream and to many who do read the WaPo a new insight, except for those who truly. such as myself and many on this board, enjoy those French beauties.

listing the alcohol content seems to move the needle if only a touch, and as stated, those who know wine, and want the lower grade on alcohol will know what they are getting into at the onset.

That is why I asked because I think it would be impractical to track down the winemaker and get the number. So even if you write the label's ABV the variance of 1.5% really makes it impossible to get a real indication.

I have really enjoyed this discussion!

I'm only an infrequent wine drinker, so my shopping process has mostly coalesced around asking people whose opinions I trust to be compatible with mine. But on those occasions when I have to wing it, looking at the importer stands is the next best thing. Anything that says Terry Theise or Louis/Dressner is a no-brainer for me. I'll take a chance on most smaller DC-area importers just because I like to root for the home team, but there's the occasional dud pick. When looking for something different to try, I'll take a chance on interesting-sounding commentary on the vinification over unfamiliar varietal any day.

Otherwise, lots of negative shopping. Megaimporters are a turn-off. Animals on the label = crass marketing -> wonder what they're compensating for? With reds, I'd like to read something about how much wood to expect: old wood vs new wood, size and time in barrel. I wish there were some indication of sulfite levels; heavy sulfites give me a whopper of a headache.