What Wine to Serve

Barbara

Spartling is always a possibility for me.The question is: Dryer or sweeter wine?

Yay! Based on the recipe, here are my thoughts: sweeter if you want to bring out the basil, onion and fennel flavors out from the soup, but also add a bit of depth to the rice put into the soup (this would be a nice chaser/aftertaste post-sip of soup) and drier if you want to cut or tone down the chicken broth/onion/fennel oils.

Sometimes the best thing to serve with soup is nothing.

I was hoping you might chime in here, but this isn't what I expected. It seems somehow not right to serve nothing but water during an Easter dinner. I was all set to break out the Prosecco. B)

I was hoping you might chime in here, but this isn't what I expected. It seems somehow not right to serve nothing but water during an Easter dinner. I was all set to break out the Prosecco. B)

You're planning to serve more than just soup, though (?). Serve sparkling water with the soup and prosecco with appetizers or salad and wine with the main course.

You're planning to serve more than just soup, though (?). Serve sparkling water with the soup and prosecco with appetizers or salad and wine with the main course.

Oh, yes. Braised lamb shanks with a nice Pinot Noir. Don't know yet what salad I'm going to serve.

Sometimes the best thing to serve with soup is nothing.

At a dinner with Daisuke Utagawa, I was introduced to the glories of matching red Burgundies with Japanese soups, the key to the match was the kombu in the stock, it adds enough umami to match with a light red. While I do not believe it would work with this soup, based on the conversation at this meal, I have started to add kombu to my stocks to make more broth forward soups friendlier to wine and have been quite pleased with the results.

the key to the match was the kombu in the stock,

Sorry to go a bit off-topic, but I have been experimenting with kombu-based stocks and I have found it very agreeable with sensitive GI tracts, such as mine. The products have been very tasty.