Newtown, CT

thistle

I'm sorry, I did not want to be the first to post on this subject, but trying not to think about the fact that 20 kindergarten students & 7 adults were killed by a mentally disturbed 20 yr. old will not make it go away. It's gotten to the point where I am afraid to let my kids go out to any highly populated area, whether it's school, a mall, a movie premiere...I realize that the chance of this happening to them is minuscule, but events like today make it seem frighteningly possible. The families of those people involved in this horrible incident are in my thoughts tonight...

We have family that lives two towns over from Newtown. They locked down all the schools in the area. The kids don't quite understand yet but will as they interact with friends in Newtown.

Personally, I picked up my kindergartner early from school to take him to my office Christmas party. He definitely got extra hugs today.

And on Monday I'm going to ask the school what their emergency plans are...

I got an email from the Fairfax county public schools at 3 pm, outlining their safety & security procedures, & I talked to my kids ( who are a bit older) about it this afternoon, but I don't know how you can prepare for something like this-I lived in CO during the Columbine shooting & here for the DC snipers, but really, it can happen anywhere. Random & horrible...

I got an email from the Fairfax county public schools at 3 pm, outlining their safety & security procedures, & I talked to my kids ( who are a bit older) about it this afternoon, but I don't know how you can prepare for something like this-I lived in CO during the Columbine shooting & here for the DC snipers, but really, it can happen anywhere. Random & horrible...

The very worst thing you can do is live in fear. Transferring your own fear to your kids is the absolute LAST thing you want to do for them. It doesn't even make sense to prepare them for this kind of random horror. Keep them scared half to dealth to go out of the house? Of course, the next storm may flatten your house. So . . .

No one wants their child to grow up in a bubble, but thistle's desire to protect her kids is completely understandable. It's almost impossible to fully convey to someone who doesn't have children the utter terror you feel when you imagine someone harming your child. Imagine the most afraid you have ever been, then amplify that fear by several orders of magnitude. And sadly, we have had far too many of these senseless tragedies lately to ignore that prickle of discomfort when trying to decide if your daughter can go to the mall with friends.

There is something seriously wrong with this country. A large number of people are so afraid that they go and buy gun after gun after gun. Whatever they're afraid of, a gun won't fix. People afraid to face their own demons and projecting them on others. Overcompensation for lack of maturity or character or something unknown. There are times when I hate Americans for being so stupid and selfish and paranoid that they have to pretend it's the 1800's and the town doesn't have a marshall and there's no law. And I don't want to hear that crap about "it takes the police 5 minutes (or 10 or 30 or whatever) to respond to a crime"...a bunch of little boys playing with guns to compensate for their lack of manhood or maturity or something.

What a great impression for the rest of the world. A place where some idiot can take a gun and kill a lot of innocent children just because he could and just because he could go buy a gun as easily as buying a pack of chewing gum. What a crock of crap.

Schools, malls, theaters, snipers and to top it off elementary school children. The nation doesn't confront it. Politicians avoid dealing with this like the plague. Other nations similar to the US have these problems but the # of times is tiny compared to the US. Fucking extremist politics.

Love your kids.