The Taste, on ABC

lion

Has anyone been watching the Taste?

I checked out the first two episodes found it uneven in pacing especially with the 'back stories' of the contestants. However I liked how, the judges seemed to express regret about not having picked certain participants.

This show, so far, is a piece of crap. Three hours of "auditions" was a bit much to me. I am also convinced that producers are pulling the strings quite a bit (need to make sure that we get enough home cooks in there, and an equal number of men and women, and some young and old people, and some people with compelling life stories). I also think that becomes pretty obvious when all of the judges say, "This taste is outstanding, I loved everything about it, no quibbles, but I just didn't pick you." Then they turn around a pick some dish that most of them hate, but one of them thinks that it shows that they have potential.

With ALL of that being said, I will watch next week to see if it gets better after the auditions are done. I have not watched American Idol for years and years, but I couldn't stand the audition episodes of that show either, but I liked it once they got down to business. Maybe it will be the same for me with The Taste.

There's another thread on this already. For some reason the title of that thread is Blind Tasting rather than the name of the show. Maybe the mods can change that?

Sorry I didn't know. I actually searched for the topic heading before posting and seeing nothing, started this one.

Sorry I didn't know. I actually searched for the topic heading before posting and seeing nothing, started this one.

It's a bit misleading, as the other topic creator didn't put "The Taste" in the topic heading. I think if CG didn't post in it, I wouldn't have known it was the same topic.

Choirgirl21: it usu helps mods if you paste the topic thread so mods can merge threads faster.

This show, so far, is a piece of crap. Three hours of "auditions" was a bit much to me. I am also convinced that producers are pulling the strings quite a bit (need to make sure that we get enough home cooks in there, and an equal number of men and women, and some young and old people, and some people with compelling life stories). I also think that becomes pretty obvious when all of the judges say, "This taste is outstanding, I loved everything about it, no quibbles, but I just didn't pick you." Then they turn around a pick some dish that most of them hate, but one of them thinks that it shows that they have potential.

With ALL of that being said, I will watch next week to see if it gets better after the auditions are done. I have not watched American Idol for years and years, but I couldn't stand the audition episodes of that show either, but I liked it once they got down to business. Maybe it will be the same for me with The Taste.

I watched the first episode over a period of a week- at two hours I just wasn't motivated to sit and watch the entire thing in one sitting. I have episode two on my DVR but am not really compelled to watch it. I

think it is fine for background noise but not much else. I had forgotten about Malarkey until a recent visit to San Diego. I went to one of his restaurants, which was great on atmosphere and meh on food. I haven't decided whether I will devote any more time to this show, but may also tune in after auditions to see if "The Taste" gets any better with some seasoning.

Is Charlie Sheen's personal chef a tranny? I'm a little surprised that judges don't know what they're eating when they can see and taste the food. They also didn't disqualify the uni dish even though they all know uni is not comfort food, so the theme is merely a guide, not a requirement if the food is otherwise good.

She was quite intense watching her review.

I was surprised they let that one slide by since on the other dishes that had more spice, there seemed to be consensus, they considered 'comfort food' from a more Western perspective.

I'll still keep watching, but my patience is running short. I liked this episode much more than all the others, but I'm not quite sure how they decide, at the very end, who to kick off the show. Yes, the bottom four get there becasue their food is tasted blindly and scored poorly against the competition, but it seems like the judges discuss who will go home after they know who made the crappy food.

I liked how stakes are getting higher for the celebrities judges. They are feeling the pain of their team being judged and losing. However, the format of the show continues to irritate especially the editing style. I wonder if the original series, which I believe was an Australian show and very popular, had a more pleasing pacing.

It's too bad they couldn't have gotten David Chang or somebody else in place of Malarkey.

Really would have liked this show to have been good.

Anyone still watching this show? Malarkey is clearly trying to become a D list celebrity with his get-up and constant shouting as if any of the other judges takes him seriously. What irked me the most was that Nigella's team should've been wiped out last night but instead, one of Tony's team member who actually produced his favorite "taste" got the boot. They tried to say she didn't tackle the offal challenge enough. Tony and Nigella are each down to 1 team member. I think Ludo has 3 and Malarkey 2. I think the Filipino (Kristienne or whatever) will win it all.

Still watching it and this week's episode was better paced.

I think the series first episode should have been inverted. Seeing the backstories on people who did not make it or even the picked epeople a la the American Idol style was completely misguided. We the audience should have been in the dark like the judges relaying just on the taste of the dish. As people were voted off we could have learned a little about them.

Malarkey did bring the overall level of the show down with his behavior. I would have liked more seriousness and time spent on the actual cooking versus antics.

Since there are only two more episodes in this series will finish it.

I am still watching the show. I like it better than the first two "audition" episodes, which I thought were terrible, but I still don't really like it very much. The judges, other than Malarkey who is a big dummy, are more bearable than at the beginning, and I like the competitions better as time goes on, but I really don't like the contestants. I think that there is some talent there and they may just edit the show to make everyone seem like a bitching group of donkeys, but they are not a very likable bunch.

I have been trying to decide if I like this show or not, and I think I've finally reached the conclusion that I don't enjoy it. I'll still probably finish the season, but I think the format is seriously flawed. One, while I understand their attempt to rip off The Voice with the blind tasting, and get the visual of just serving each judge one spoon, I don't think this works. It doesn't give the judges a chance to actually explore the flavors and techniques on the plate over multiple tastes, and oftentimes doesn't even let them see if the goals of the challenges have been met (see the tom yum dish this week). Two, I don't fully get the point of the teams. They only get "mentoring" during the quickfire (which mostly means yelling), and people can get kicked off regardless of the team that they're on.

I am pleased that they have begun eliminating contestants at a faster rate, however, because that means that the show will end sooner. Perhaps next week six contestants will be eliminated.

Nigella pronounces "cordial" cor-de-o. I also don't care if someone's (i.e., Nigella's last mentee) been saving herself by taking a vow of purity (like I give a flying f*ck). Diane (Tony's last mentee) was saved by a lot rationalization (likely because Nigella felt guilty booting Tony's favorite dish maker last week). At least Nigella's virginal pet got the boot. Why she chose to cook octopus, something she professed never to have eaten before (and never cooked before), for a seductive food challenge is beyond me. Diane knows Tony doesn't like dessert but chooses to do one anyway. The androgynous Filipino continues to kick ass with a dish laden with sea urchin, a 63 degree quail egg and other seafood - it sounded really good.

Eh, the show isn't going to win any awards, but I'm enjoying it a bit more now that there are less people and they're able to show more of the discussion of each spoon. I still like certain aspects of the format a good bit. At least they got the final 4 pretty much right. Jeff should have been there instead of Sara, but otherwise some clear favorites from the beginning.

Nigella pronounces "cordial" cor-de-o. I also don't care if someone's (i.e., Nigella's last mentee) been saving herself by taking a vow of purity (like I give a flying f*ck). Diane (Tony's last mentee) was saved by a lot rationalization (likely because Nigella felt guilty booting Tony's favorite dish maker last week). At least Nigella's virginal pet got the boot. Why she chose to cook octopus, something she professed never to have eaten before (and never cooked before), for a seductive food challenge is beyond me. Diane knows Tony doesn't like dessert but chooses to do one anyway. The androgynous Filipino continues to kick ass with a dish laden with sea urchin, a 63 degree quail egg and other seafood - it sounded really good.

It occured to me that someone who's saving herself may nevertheless have done alot of sucking, hence the octopus dish. I'm not aware of other animals that have more suckers.

It's funny that Tony talks about how nice and great Nigella and Ludo are but don't say a thing about Malarkey. So this show's over and Kristianne won, deservingly so but they sure edited to make it look like Diane's tastes were better. I feel even worse about the show after finding out both Kristianne and Diane are regulars on the reality TV circuit.

It's funny that Tony talks about how nice and great Nigella and Ludo are but don't say a thing about Malarkey. So this show's over and Kristianne won, deserving so but they sure edited to make it look like Diane's tastes were better. I feel even worse about the show after finding out both Kristianne and Diane are regulars on the reality TV circuit.

Ugh, I agree, that does make me like the show even less. From what we could actually see, I thought Kristianne was the obvious winner, particularly after Greg was eliminated. I'm glad this show/season are over, because I now won't waste my time with it any more. On to something equally useless!

I liked the season's finale and would have liked all the shows to have that dynamics between the judges and participants.

Not sure about watching another season unless some of the more glaring problems can be fixed.

That actually would satisfy my curiousity but I think I read somewhere she's just cooking as the millionaire's chef.

She did in a previous episode, but this last one featured her as one of the millionaires being set up. Apparently all you need to know is that she's butch on the streets, fem in the sheets. :rolleyes:

• Like 1