How do you introduce yourself?

How do you introduce yourself to people you’ve only read about on this board (or others)? And when it gives a sense of faux-familiarity?

I was at the Stachowski tent buying some sausages and amiably chatting with the salesman, when I said, “wait, are you Jamie?” He paused, gave me a look, and said yes. I told him I’d heard good things, thanked him, and left (not abruptly). It was kind of a weird encounter, tho, as I didn’t introduce myself or provide any context as to how I knew who he might be. I’m incredibly wary of name-dropping Don or this website, and I also don’t want to appear to be some kind of weird, on-line stalker.

Maybe I’m creating an issue where none exists? Maybe I simply lack social graces?

What’s the right way to do this?

I don't know if there's a right way, but I meet someone once at a wine tasting, recognized who he was, and said something along the lines of , "Hi, I'm Linda, I post as lperry on (the site that shall not be named). Nice to meet you." We chatted for a minute and then went on our respective ways.

I say "Hi, I'm Earl. You owe me a drink but you probably don't remember. However, I'm giving you a chance to make up for your oversight".

I do what all the others upthread from Escoffier reported doing. A minority of the time, real name, alias here on DR, something positive I'd learned about them, their restaurant. Or, more often, real name and just that I'd read great things or learned great things about them from dr.com without mentioning alias or posting history/frequency unless they ask. I think either way makes sense, gives logical and comforting context and, at times, allows a more "normal" conversation to flow from there as convos having nothing to do with food or DR.com typically might.

All said, I really like Escoffier's idea and may change my approach to his with just one tweak. Rather than "Earl," I'll likely go with something more memorable like "Hi, I'm Dweezil"... :D

I do like most of the others if I met them off of there. It's similar to what happens at events like Tales, it seems, which is why I had my ambush marketer shirts made saying "i follow you on twitter" or "i think we're facebook friends" on the back.