Help Needed for Desserts near MCI Center

jjshyne

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to restaurants or cafes for just desserts in DC. In addition, which restaurants are reservation friendly for just desserts. I'm helping out a friend who will be taking his date to Zaytinya for dinner so somewhere in that close vicinity. Zola? Rosa Mexicano? Indebleu? Thanks! :lol:

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to restaurants or cafes for just desserts in DC. In addition, which restaurants are reservation friendly for just desserts.  I'm helping out a friend who will be taking his date to Zaytinya for dinner so somewhere in that close vicinity. Zola? Rosa Mexicano? Indebleu? Thanks!  :lol:

I think you can go pretty much anywhere for "just dessert", just be prepared to be seated at the bar or a lounge table. Close to Zaytinya, off the top of my head, the bar at Tosca is lurvely (but I miss Kathy!), Jaleo is nice if noisy, Poste brasserie has a very civilized bar, too. What about the new Rasika?

I think you can go pretty much anywhere for "just dessert", just be prepared to be seated at the bar or a lounge table. Close to Zaytinya, off the top of my head, the bar at Tosca is lurvely (but I miss Kathy!), Jaleo is nice if noisy, Poste brasserie has a very civilized bar, too.  What about the new Rasika?

Tosca does very nice, if not inspired desserts (tomato marmalade tarte would always be worth going for, but that's out of season). Also take a look at the dessert menus at Cafe Atlantico and Bistro D'Oc, which are both near Zaytinya. I'm pretty sure that Jaleo won't take reservations after early evening. Edited by crackers

Just curious- why skip the desserts at Zaytinya? The yogurt cream with apricot and Muscat gelee, and the Turkish Coffee Chocolate are two out of three of the most memorable desserts I've had in Washington. (The other was from Corduroy, in case anyone is wondering)

Thanks for the help! I was thinking a different place for desserts to change up the atmosphere a bit to a more romantic setting. However, I will definitely let him know that desserts at Zaytinya are great as well.

My favorite desserts:

Black and White Martini Shake,Cafe Mozu

Hazelnut Bars & Creme Brulee, Corduroy

Baked Alaska, 2941

Green Tea Mochi, Kotobuki

Edited by jjshyne

Even though the last meal I had at Atlantico (and you can look back I've been a huge cheerleader for that place on this board) teetered on the edge dismal, I still say: Tres Leches!

Mmmmmm.

Actually, My fictional friend, Larkl, and I were in the very postition of trying to find a place to get a dessert in the MCI Center vicinity a couple of months ago, and you know what we did? We got a cab and went to Corduroy for Pistachio Bread Pudding. And it was the right thing to do.

Thanks for the help! I was thinking a different place for desserts to change up the atmosphere a bit to a more romantic setting. However, I will definitely let him know that desserts at Zaytinya are great as well.

imho, if looking to change the atmosphere, proximity is not really an issue. sometimes the best part of a date comes during the cab ride to the next place. that being said, i would vote for the lounge at citronelle, or desserts and after dinner drinks by the fire at tabard inn or the gorgeous oversized fireplace in the lobby lounge of the ritz-carlton in georgetown.

imho, if looking to change the atmosphere, proximity is not really an issue.  sometimes the best part of a date comes during the cab ride to the next place.  that being said, i would vote for the lounge at citronelle, or desserts and after dinner drinks by the fire at tabard inn or the gorgeous oversized fireplace in the lobby lounge of the ritz-carlton in georgetown.

Mmmm, sounds lovely. Citronelle lounge never fails to get one in the mood.

Edited by Nadya

I asked this same question on EG last year. I got similar responses to the ones you're receiving now. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a place where noise isn't an issue and you don't mind sitting close to other diners, then the Turkish Coffee Chocolate at Zaytinya is one of the best desserts I've ever had!! It was even worth the hour wait to get the table at 10PM (being sat at 11PM) on a Saturday evening!! I would say that there are very few desserts in D.C. that can hold up to it. On the other hand, if you're looking for something a little more intimate, I would recommend IndeBleu. They have fantastic desserts! We have been to IndeBleu several times for JUST dessert (still haven't made it there for dinner) after having our main meal at Zaytinya and we've been very impressed with what they offer. The presentation and service are right on! IndeBleu is a nice quiet place (at least the dining area is) to unwind after a meal at Zaytinya and it's much more intimate for the end of a date. And, it's only a block and a half away from Zaytinya (you literally walk out the doors of Zaytinya, make a left, and it's on the next block).