Billy Goat Tavern, New Jersey Ave & E St NW

apparently, its also coming to DC, to the new Natl Assoc of Realtors building on New Jersey Ave....

not sure what to make of this really....I think I went to the orig in Chicago and do not recall being overly impressed

I never understood what the appeal of Billy Goat's Tavern was. I moved here from Chicago last summer and I can tell you that no one that actually lives in Chicago goes to the one there. I certainly have absolutely no desire to go to one anywhere else.

If they were to open a Portillo's out here, however...

Edited by mxyzptlk

I agree..lived in Chicago for 18 years and never once went to the Billy Goat. Portillo's on the other hand..yummm. I am joining your petition to get them to DC!

I never understood what the appeal of Billy Goat's Tavern was. I moved here from Chicago last summer and I can tell you that no one that actually lives in Chicago goes to the one there. I certainly have absolutely no desire to go to one anywhere else.

If they were to open a Portillo's out here, however...

Its a good burger. Different from 5 Guys. 5 Guys is still my favorite.

Goat's buns are not that creamy soft goodness you get at 5G. More your standard picnic bun fare. The burgers are not greasy generally.

They do offer fries now. And they're generally consistent and crunchy with a few bad apples per order.

Fletch, lunchtime bartender, is friendly and acts as traffic cop when Gtown Law students pour in & the line runs half-way thru the restaurant. Most days, you can sit at the bar, order a beer & burger ("double cheese with fries) and he'll just bring it over. Avoid the lines.

Apparently they're jammed for Bears games.

I will admit to frequenting "the Goat," but I usually didn't eat anything until I was AT LEAST a pitcher in. Frankly, I feel like the biggest reason for its survival is its proximity to the Georgetown law school. I was a member of the Georgetown Gilbert & Sullivan Society, and we'd ALWAYS party at the Billy Goat after our performances. Good bar + rich law students = lots of drunk food consumed and money exchanged.

Frankly, I feel like the biggest reason for its survival is its proximity to the Georgetown law school.

That and the never-ending crowd of convention-goers staying at the Hyatt and Wash Court Hotel that somehow always end up there. Worst restaurant in DC? It's up there on my list but not the worst. Their grilled cheese is tolerable if doused with ample amounts of tomato ketchup and stuffed with their pickles of questionable vintage. Though I still have nightmares about how horrible their french fries are.