Unusual, Interesting Or Unique

zoramargolis

I decided to start this thread, because I found something yesterday that I had never seen before, at the Super H in Fairfax:

Fresh garbanzo beans, green and still in their pods. There is one bean, sometimes two per pod. they taste a bit like fresh peas, though not quite as sweet. I bought a sackful and shelled them in front of the tv last night. I'm still thinking about how best to use them.

Anyone else find anything of note recently?

Something I haven't tried, but am curious if anyone else has experience...kefir. It sounds interesting (particularly all of the purported health benefits), but was wondering what others thought.

Edited by AlliK

I decided to start this thread, because I found something yesterday that I had never seen before, at the Super H in Fairfax:

Fresh garbanzo beans, green and still in their pods. There is one bean, sometimes two per pod. they taste a bit like fresh peas, though not quite as sweet. I bought a sackful and shelled them in front of the tv last night. I'm still thinking about how best to use them.

Anyone else find anything of note recently?

Mmmm, that sounds good. Talk about some earthy bean dip.

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about the chickpea ------->.

I've recently had a dish that had a bunch of the hybrid black ones. Where was that, btw? Somewhere in DC, I believe (otherwise Craft Bar in NYC).

Bella Italia in Bethesda has a variety of chocolates from Turin producer Guido Gobino, including their famous Turinot Maximo giandujotto, which in my book is reason enough for the existence of the hazelnut. I haven't seen Gobino for sale anywhere since I picked up a box at Zingerman's a couple years ago.

Even on sale, it's expensive at around $26 for a 250g box, but Gobino is to Perugina as Callebaut is to Hershey's.

Something I haven't tried, but am curious if anyone else has experience...kefir.  It sounds interesting (particularly all of the purported health benefits), but was wondering what others thought.

I like the plain Kefir--but then I like plain buttermilk! DH likes the fruit varieties, but only if he "cuts" them with some kind of fruit juice, as he doesn't like the thickness. As far as the purported health benefits...I've become a believer in probiotics, with my daily Danactive/Actimel breakfasts.

Purple asparagus at the Quaker Valley booth at the Foggy Bottom FM. I've only seen white or green, but apparently, this variety is "sweeter," per the boothkeeper. Unfortunately, the curiousity cost $5 per bunch (yes, I know it's the going price, but cf. grocery budget thread).

Purple asparagus at the Quaker Valley booth at the Foggy Bottom FM. I've only seen white or green, but apparently, this variety is "sweeter," per the boothkeeper. Unfortunately, the curiousity cost $5 per bunch (yes, I know it's the going price, but cf. grocery budget thread).

I haven't noticed any difference between the green and purple in previous years.

I haven't noticed any difference between the green and purple in previous years.

Nor have I. It isn't like purple potatoes, which have a distinct garlicky flavor to me, and white ones. I paid $5 lb. for the regular green asparagus last week at Penn Quarter; so buying the purple wouldn't cost any more to try yourself.