Future DR.com Events

hillvalley

I am going to try something a little different for the next few months and let you know about a few events that are coming up in the next three months. If this works better and you all prefer it I will stick to this format instead of keeping you all in suspense.

This month our event will be at W. Domku in Petworth. You can read more about the dinner here. It promises to be an interesting night of cuisine many of us do not usually get to enjoy on a regular basis.

In April DonRockwell.com will support two of our members, cjsadler and txaggie, as they raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. They will be hosting a fundraiser at L'Academie d' Cuisine in Bethesda. More details will be announced in the next week or two. Due to a variety of religious holidays this will probably be our only formal event in April.

May brings warm weather and picnics. We will have our second annual Spring Picnic sometime this month. The date is to be determined. You can read about our first spring picnic in this thread.

Our second event in May will be held on Sunday, May 7th. I am pleased to announce that we are co hosting a dinner with Monica Bhide at Sudhir Seth's Passage to India. Details will be announce at the beginning of April.

It's been a while since we had a $20 Tuesday. Can a decent meal be had in DC for under $20? Feel free to take the initiative and plan an informal dinner at your favorite cheap eat. (Informal means that the restaurant is not making any special preparations for us. If this does occur please let me know and I will help you plan <_< )

The Dim Sum Sunday group has done a marvelous job of scoping out the dim sum scene. If they have not already hit your favorite spot throw it out as a contender and see if it lives up to their expectations. (A huge thanks to perrik for all of her hard work and early arrivals on the weekends!)

Finally, every other week or so, dr.com'ers get together for happy hour at various spots in the city. You can find out where to join them on the On a whim thread.

Everyone is welcome at our events. I hope the plethora of new members will join us for a drink or two. Come discover if Rocks really exists and how others have found out!

So dudes, here are my thoughts on all this. Summoning up the group energy required to pull off that second night at Corduroy was akin to eeking out that fourth orgasm of the afternoon - it happened, but now nobody wants to have sex again for another week.

Since then, we've had to cancel two events because of lack of interest. I think if we erred on the side of too-few events before, we've probably erred on the side of too-many events recently. This is all open to suggestion and discussion, but I don't want to be announcing events and then having to cancel them, because it doesn't look good for the restaurants. But whatever everyone wants, we'll try and do - this is not some big secretive cloak-and-dagger thing; I just want everyone to have a good time here.

Okay, that having been said, I'm pretty stoked about two of these events: the Passage To India dinner with Monica, and the benefit that cjsadler and txaggie are having at L'Academie de Cuisine. There may be another one coming up on short notice that could be quite popular as well.

Cheers,

Rocks.

???

Maybe you should try doing frequent small events, still working closely with chefs and owners, holding onto a theme or a purpose (like truffles or shad roe or under $22 ). That way you are asking for less of a favor with respect to their books or traffic flow and filling the event won't be as big a question mark. From the smaller event you can get the proper feedback as to whether it would work as a mongo event ...and save face.

Everyone would just have to work really hard to be adult. It's just a suggestion, so no need to beat me into a little ball of fur.

Frankly, I'm astonished that those who don't make the cut are so willing to express their displeasure.

Yes! This board is a great community, and some dinners seem to be quite popular. Keep 'em small, so they are less intrusive to the restaurant and aren't such a Herculean task to manage, and if you don't get to go to the dinner you really wanted, oh well. <_<

Yes! This board is a great community, and some dinners seem to be quite popular. Keep 'em small, so they are less intrusive to the restaurant and aren't such a Herculean task to manage, and if you don't get to go to the dinner you really wanted, oh well. <_<

Right, smaller events but more of them! With that, the chain of dissapointment that is life will be lightened a bit and easier for more people to handle!

I would agree with the "smaller, more frequent" events sentiment.

So dudes, here are my thoughts on all this.  Summoning up the group energy required to pull off that second night at Corduroy was akin to ekeing out that fourth orgasm of the afternoon - it happened, but now nobody wants to have sex again for another week.

And this, my friends, gets my vote for analogy of the week. <_<

Reminder: please let me know about W Domku by tonight!

I have just added a last minute, special event to the calendar. I will announce all the details Monday morning. The turn around time will be less than a week so we will not be following the usual time line. Please keep an eye on the board Monday so that you can decide if you would like to join us. Due to the short amount of time a lottery may not be able to occur. Consider this your advanced warning that you might want to check in Monday morning.

For those of you who cannot access the board at work, please use the track this topic button for this thread (located at the top of the thread) so you recieve an email regarding the event. I will post basic details here so you can decide if you are interested.

Have a wonderful weekend,

Your friendly (most of the time) calendar diva

For those who are receiving information about the surprise event via email it is a dinner at Ray's on Sunday, March 24th for $35. Send an email to membership@donrockwell.com with your name and if you would like one or two spots. Then, when you get to a computer where you can read the board follow the directions on the thread.

IF YOU CAN PM ME PLEASE DO THAT!!!!! Thanks <_<