Chocolaterie Wanders, Chocolatier Wilhelm Wanders and Manager Melanie Wanders in Manassas - Closed Jun, 2011

Has anyone heard of Wanders Artisan Chocolaterie? Coming to DC this fall.

I happen to be going to their tasting/gallery opening tonight, so I'll let you know what I think...

Hello DonRockwell.com food connoisseurs,

the chocolates must have been too good for words to describe for Meaghan smile.gif

I came across this forum browsing the web and am glad to see that artisan chocolates are well represented here. We are excited to join the group of excellent confection makers in the Washington DC area.

We will provide a devine selection of hand-made chocolates. The production team is european trained and we carry a lot of tradition with our name. You can learn more about us and what we do on our website (see signature).

We are starting production in September - you will be able to sign up on our mailing list on the homepage, if you want to be one of the first to know the actual date.

Shortly we will also feature more nutrition information and health aspects of chocolate in general from our own nutrinist Alison Sturm on the homepage - there is a big buzz going on about this in the US and we think it is important to educate us and our customers.

Feel free to ask us anything you like via the contact form, email or here on DonRockwells forums.

We will service your needs in wholesale and retail business. To serve you we will set up a web store for the upcoming season, so you will be able to conviniently order online as well.

Greetings & looking forward to post a lot more on here (we cannot wait to explore the DC dining experience)

Wilhelm Wanders, Master Pastry Chef & Chocolatier

Hello DonRockwell.com food connoisseurs,

the chocolates must have been too good for words to describe for Meaghan :unsure:

Wilhelm Wanders, Master Pastry Chef & Chocolatier

Silence does justice to nothing. I really wish I had posted then because everything was more fresh in my mind, but I still have a vivid picture of the raspberry one. My friends and I loved all that was tasted (Mmm, the cheese was from Cheesetique that night!). Just to show off, this what was tasted:

clicky

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Wanders' had done everything at home and by hand; it's so great that independent candymakers are alive and kicking here (Die Mr. Goodbar!!). I remember being delighted by each of the confections I tried; I must have had a dozen (little self control). I'm really happy things are on schedule to see you guys are here on the board. I'll gladly be your taster from here on out...I like champagne, too.

Cheers,

Meaghan

We will service your needs in wholesale and retail business. To serve you we will set up a web store for the upcoming season, so you will be able to conviniently order online as well.

Hello Master Pastry Chef & Chocolatier, and welcome.

Do you have a location in mind for your retail business?

Dear CrescentFresh,

we have a store planned in the future, but will pursue our retail sales through phone, fax, (e)mail and webpage first. You will be able to find us in selected gourmet stores as well. We are always open to suggestions as far as locations go though :unsure: Is there somewhere specific you would like to see us?

Meaghan,

thank you for your kind words, we enjoyed the event as much as you did and are looking forward to finally starting our venture up in VA, MD and DC. The website represents only a small selection of our chocolates right now, but eventually we will have an assortment of 12 - 16 confections to savor. We'll keep you posted ;)

Last I heard Wilhelm took a job doing R&D at King Arthur Flour up in VT. I think they moved up there in 2011 or 2012. Rural Vermont sounded like a nice change of pace from the DC Metro area.

Yeah, running a chocolate business in general is pretty tough. I think you'd have to rely on a lot of wholesale business if you were in an industrial park in Manassas. Lower margins which would need to be made up with large volume. Retail isn't much easier, as the margins are higher, but my overhead is much, much more.

Sometimes I wish I had stayed in the ski travel business. :)

• Like 1

I came across this post by chance - just a quick update: We moved up to Vermont in 2011. I am the pastry manager at King Arthur Flour in Norwich, VT and enjoy my time here tremendously. It was not easy leaving the DC area - we had a great time and business was a lot of fun, but as the family grew, priorities shifted and we chose to move. Definitely the right choice for us - I will be in the area in March again just for a quick visit. It's amazing how much has happened in the DC area since then! Much love and greetings :)