Polenta

Seanchai

OK, so I purchased one of those premade polenta rolls that resembles the packaging of a Jimmy Dean sausage. It's been sitting in my fridge for a month now as I'm not quite sure how I should use it. Do I slice it into thin rounds and sit roasted pork on it with accompanying au jus? Do I treat it like a rice base in a stir-fry? Do I let it harden, cut out coin-sized slices and use as slugs in a soda machine? Is it worth any bother? Please help with any and all suggestions.

OK, so I purchased one of those premade polenta rolls that resembles the packaging of a Jimmy Dean sausage. It's been sitting in my fridge for a month now as I'm not quite sure how I should use it. Do I slice it into thin rounds and sit roasted pork on it with accompanying au jus? Do I treat it like a rice base in a stir-fry? Do I let it harden, cut out coin-sized slices and use as slugs in a soda machine? Is it worth any bother? Please help with any and all suggestions.

I would slice it into rounds, lightly brush with EVOO and then grill (or saute) them. Serve with whatever protein that you are serving.

I buy the premade, seasoned polenta rolls sometimes and slice them thickly, pan-fry with butter and olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper and rosemary. Another option is to reconstitute it with some chicken stock. From there, I usually mix in mushrooms sauteed with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and thyme or rosemary. It's not bad served with pork or chicken, or on it's own.

Sliced rounds brushed with olive oil and baked or broiled can be quite nice. Slice them thick or thin depending desired crispiness. Sprinkle with shredded Parm partway through or at the end. Top them with anything you'd put on crostini, or slide them under the protein.

The problem I've had with pan-frying is that they spit something fierce. There's a lot of moisture in the prepackaged rolls, and when it comes into contact with the hot oil, droplets start flying. I think you can minimize this by patting the slices with paper towel and getting them as dry as possible before they go in the pan.

I love me some polenta, but prefer mushy polenta to the hard roll polenta...

mushy polenta is pretty easy to make, you can buy cornmeal for dirty cheap at any grocery store, bring 4 parts half and half barely to a simmer, slowly sprinkle in 1 part corn meal and stir (avoid lumps), salt, pepper, allow to cook for 5 minutes or so at a low heat, finish with cheese, herbs, dollop of butter...goes great with winter type dishes, shanks, mushroom ragu, caramalize onions etc.

It's one of those super easy dishes that blows everyone away, but takes all of 10 minutes to make.

It's one of those super easy dishes that blows everyone away, but takes all of 10 minutes to make.
Yep. I'm sure the prepackaged stuff is marked up about the same as popcorn in a movie theater. A big bag costs about 2 bucks.
A bit off topic, but if you make soft polenta yourself, it's very easy to cool it down until it's a little stiff, transfer it onto a piece of plastic wrap, and then roll it up into a tube like the prepackaged stuff, and pop it into the refrigerator.

I ran into a similar issue last week as I wanted to make polenta, but could only find the pre-packaged roll in my local store. Since I was going for a creamy polenta consistency, I warmed some heavy cream in a non-stick skillet and added a couple slices from the polenta roll. I then mashed the polenta with a fork and worked the cream into it to get my desired consistency. To finish it I added some freshly grated parm/reggiano cheese. Delicious! The creamy polenta served as a base for fish & spinach cooked with a creamy tomato sauce.

I use Goya brand coarse-ground yellow cornmeal. I usually find bags of it in the ethnic food aisle at Shopper's Food Warehouse. Cheap and good.

And cook it low and slow for a long time to develop some wonderful corn flavor. IIRC, Bill Buford talks a bit about this in Heat.

And cook it low and slow for a long time to develop some wonderful corn flavor. IIRC, Bill Buford talks a bit about this in Heat.

Oh, yeah! Low flame on a heat diffuser for about an hour. When I made it yesterday, I added some leftover fresh creamed corn I had, which added an additional depth of flavor/sweetness, along with some Reggiano and butter at the end.

Somewhere (the dinner thread, maybe?) several of us were discussing rice cooker polenta.  I found my notes and will be making it tonight, so thought I would share.  The ratio is 1 cup of polenta to 3 cups of water for sliceable / pan fryable texture, and 1 cup polenta to 4 cups water for the porridge.  Whisk the cornmeal into cold water, then use the white rice setting.  There's no need to stir with a coarse meal, although a couple of times with finer meal is a good idea, and you can add in salt, cheese, chives, and whatever else your heart desires after you get the cornmeal smooth with the whisk.  Happy polenta-ing!