Gastro-pubs

Stretch

While in Philly earlier this summer, I had a chance to visit the renowned Standard Tap in the Northern Liberties neighborhood (website). Great jukebox, relaxed, non-fussy vibe, fresh nicely executed food classics at extremely reasonable prices, local beer. Can anybody nominate what might be the local equivalent of a "gastro-pub" or which place might come closest?

I have NEVER found anything like the Standard Tap. The food there is truly fabulous, the beer is excellent, and staff are second to none. I miss that place so much. The fried smelt is a perfect, late night snack. The chicken pot pie has a tender crust with a truly homemade filling. The lamb chops are succulent. Oh, lord...I think I wet myself just THINKING about this place. smile.gif

One thing that elevates the Tap beyond the usual bar (apart from the food, beer, and general atmosphere) are the staff. One night, my wife and I were having dinner with friends and my wife's purse got stolen. The staff was very helpful and understanding (comp'd us on our dinner to help alleviate the pain). Then, the next day, our friends got a call at 7am from someone who said they found my wife's purse. Apparently, the staff put the word out that a purse had been stolen and gave people the salient details. Within hours, their network of locals had found it. It was minus cash and CCs, but house/car keys, DL, etc were all still there. It probably wouldn't have found it's way back to her without the help of the Tap staff. They are simply great people.

If any of the Tap staff are reading this, then you know who I am and we miss you guys!

They also own Johnny brendas as I stated under the philly travel guide side. Simple seems to be in order with this style of dinning. Guess what, it works.

Add me to the list of Standard Tap devotees. It was our choice for my husband's last night in Philly dinner a few years back. One of my faves was the duck confit salad. If someone does know of a place here with a similar vibe, please post it!

DC equivalent, no. But I guess The Brewer's Art in Baltimore might qualify.

They also own Johnny brendas as I stated under the philly travel guide side. Simple seems to be in order with this style of dinning. Guess what, it works.

Apparently Johnny Brendas got their stuff together for the upstairs live music venue. Local promoters, R5, have been lining up some pretty decent acts to play at JBs. The food there is certainly simpler than the Taps and, as rabbi1969 pointed out, it certainly works. But, to me, it's more of a place to drink and see a band.

i have never been to the standard, but i would nominate cafe st. ex, and sibling bar pilar, and tonic as the bars the do a very good, and occasionally great job with comfortable classics.

I concur. Cafe Saint-EX came to mind immediately. Tonic can be hit-or-miss, but when they're on, they're ON.

Bourbon might also be a candidate for this list, as they do an excellent job on their food, and service has always been excellent.

Looks like there will soon be another (or should I say, initial?) gastro-pub option in Arlington, according to this info from the most recent "The List"-

EAT BAR -- Also from the Neighborhood Restaurant Group, EAT BAR will open in early October. Formerly the front bar at Tallula, EAT BAR will be offered as the neighborhood "gastropub". The bar will feature a chalkboard menu of daily cuts, oysters on the half shell, house-smoked charcuterie and other creations made in-house by Chef Nathan Anda.

Looks like there will soon be another (or should I say, initial?) gastro-pub option in Arlington, according to this info from the most recent "The List"-

EAT BAR -- Also from the Neighborhood Restaurant Group, EAT BAR will open in early October. Formerly the front bar at Tallula, EAT BAR will be offered as the neighborhood "gastropub". The bar will feature a chalkboard menu of daily cuts, oysters on the half shell, house-smoked charcuterie and other creations made in-house by Chef Nathan Anda.

Any news on this front?