Au Pied Bistro, Casual French on 28th and M Street in Georgetown - San Tsun Gin Lian.

We are thinking about Au Pied Bistro vs. Bistro Francais for a warm cassaulet on this first cold day of 2006. Au Pied wins on sentimentality as our office loved its former location (curses on Five Guys). However, the complete lack of reviews of Au Pied is worrisome.

Actually, if you're looking in that neighborhood (Georgetown/M Street), I'd recommend La Chaumiere. Charming atmosphere with a fireplace in the middle -- perfect for a cold night. It's a few doors down from Au Pied Bistro and they do a good job with hearty French fare. Haven't been to Au Pied, but I've heard some negative things....

I've never eaten at the Bistro but when it used to be Au Pied Corchon where the Five Guys is now on Wisconsin, a friend and I had a very bad meal at 3 am on a Saturday. Now I usually don't like to say negative things about places, but the food was abysmal. I'm not sure, but I think the Bistro is owned by the same people, but even if you change the trappings it essentialy is the same monster at heart :) Besides, there are to many decent french places in that area for me to risk more money on a potential disaster.

Actually, if you're looking in that neighborhood (Georgetown/M Street), I'd recommend La Chaumiere. Charming atmosphere with a fireplace in the middle -- perfect for a cold night.
La Chaumière is an excellent suggestion, but according to their MENU they have cassoulet only on Thursdays. Bistro Français' MENU makes no mention of cassoulet, although that doesn't mean they don't offer it. On the subject of Au Pied Bistro (which I don't remember ever hearing of until now), according to THIS in the Post, it's not owned by the same folks that owned the dreadful Au Pied de Cochon. Oddly, that little review says virtually nothing about the food at Au Pied Bistro.

I still think of the space now occupied by Five Guys as the LeHi.