Daesh - not ISIS, and Certainly not ISIL

DonRocks

I refuse to use the term ISIL, and here's why:

ISIS stands for Islamic State of Iraq and Syria

ISIL stands for Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant

So, what is Levant?

Levant is defined as "the lands in the eastern Mediterranean, covering Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan and Iraq."

I don't give these assholes that much credit.

I think their "army" is in the hundreds. To my many Muslim friends in the restaurant industry: I embrace you now as much as I ever have.

Hell, *I* could probably kill 130 people if I really set my mind to it. BIG FUCKING DEAL!

You could also add up the individual IQs of ISIS members and still not get mine, so fuck you, ISIS. Kill me if you want; I don't give a shit.

If you like this post, retweet this (which points back to this post).

• Like 1

Daesh: "al-Dawla al-Islamiya fi al-Iraq wa al-Sham" - apparently, a pejorative term for ISIS in Arabic.

I *love* it, and if I find out more about it, I may begin using it myself.

Two things are important:

1) It is to be used against ISIS and *only* ISIS.

2) When this tiny group of madmen is terminated - whether it's in 5 years, or 20 years, or 50 years (and it *will* be terminated given enough time), it's important that the term should no longer be used except on a historical basis. Refer to "Jap" and "Kraut" - similar concept.

• Like 1

Truly the last country you wanted to piss off they did, and by doing so Russia will continue to light them up all day and night. Parking lot city!

Think China's not pissed off that they're destroying 1,000-year-old statues of Buddha?

One Muslim friend (in upper-level restaurant management) saw this post and wrote me. Here's his complete letter:

"Fuck ISIS."

I don't care for them calling themselves a state at all, but for me the first part of their name should be DIM (Doctrinally Incorrect Muslims) since the Koran does not in any way justify or condone the 9/11/2001 attacks nor this stuff pulled in Paris! Don's Muslim friend above has it right.

DIM NSA (Doctrinally Incorrect Muslim Non-State Actors)

Anyone know why President Obama always uses ISIL in his speeches versus the more mainstream ISIS? 

I asked this question to someone who either knows or who can find out within 24 hours. No sense in speculating - I've read various theories - let's wait for the answer.

Do you really think the Chinese Communist government cares much about non-Chinese statues of Buddha?

I don't think they're delighted.

Anyone know why President Obama always uses ISIL in his speeches versus the more mainstream ISIS? 

I heard back from my contact about President Obama using ISIL - he doesn't know the answer. I can't speak for President Obama, but it seems to me like the terms have been used somewhat interchangeably - I'd never given it any deep thought before the Paris attacks; now, I'm not going to use ISIL anymore.

Oh, and if anyone didn't watch the Colbert video until the end, you missed out. :)

I heard back from my contact about President Obama using ISIL - he doesn't know the answer. 

Perhaps he uses it because State designated it as the primary and official term for the group over a year ago.  click  That remains in force AFAIK.  Other governments and the UN take the same position on official terminology.

Another discussion about the name issue here.

Maybe it's all part of a vast right-wing conspiracy being foisted upon us by the Fox/NBC cabal  click

I think we all should just switch to Daesh for formal occasions, and for those who wish to do so, goat fuckers (GF) for less formal occasions.

I've been told, publicly and privately, that nobody ever learns anything from "these" discussions, and that I'm wasting my time in an exercise of futility.

Here is a refutation of that statement by counterexample: I have now changed the title of this thread from:

"ISIS, not ISIL"

to

"Daesh, not ISIS, and Certainly not ISIL"

because since I began this thread, I have *learned from these discussions* what "Daesh" is, and it is a far more appropriate name for these subhumans than ISIS. For English speakers, it also completely removes any direct reference to "Islam," which shows appropriate respect to the 1.5 billion Muslims in the world, as well as removing any direct reference to the ridiculous notion that this pack of dogs is somehow a "state."

From this point forward, I'm using the term "Daesh," and will no longer refer to these murderers by any other name.

"France Says the Name 'ISIS' is Offensive, will Call it 'Daesh' Instead" on theweek.com

"World Leaders Have Taken to Calling ISIS 'Daesh," a Word the Islamic State Hates" by Laura Reston on newrepublic.com

"Daesh: the Word ISIS Doesn't Want You to Say - and Why Politicians are Using it More than Ever" by Jason Silverstein on nydailynews.com

"Words Matter in 'ISIS' War, so Use 'Daesh'" by Zeba Khan on bostonglobe.com

"What Does Daesh Mean? ISIS 'Threatens to Cut Out the Tongues' of Anyone Using This Word" by Nicola Oakley on mirror.co.uk

DAESH, assholes, DAESH! And if you cut out my tongue, I still have my fingertips so you're going to have to kill me, and even if you kill me, this message is going to remain on the internet until the end of time, so Fuck You!

Isis is the name of an ancient Egyptian goddess. Egypt can't be too happy about these people co-opting that name.

Egyptian Tourist Commission:  "Come see our statues of Isis!"

That's why I am NEVER calling them ISIS.

Exactly! It's also the name of a great Bob Dylan song.

I've been told, publicly and privately, that nobody ever learns anything from "these" discussions, and that I'm wasting my time in an exercise of futility.

Here is a refutation of that statement by counterexample: I have now changed the title of this thread from:

"ISIS, not ISIL"

to

"Daesh, not ISIS, and Certainly not ISIL"

because since I began this thread, I have *learned from these discussions* what "Daesh" is, and it is a far more appropriate name for these subhumans than ISIS. For English speakers, it also completely removes any direct reference to "Islam," which shows appropriate respect to the 1.5 billion Muslims in the world, as well as removing any direct reference to the ridiculous notion that this pack of dogs is somehow a "state."

From this point forward, I'm using the term "Daesh," and will no longer refer to these murderers by any other name.

"France Says the Name 'ISIS' is Offensive, will Call it 'Daesh' Instead" on theweek.com

"World Leaders Have Taken to Calling ISIS 'Daesh," a Word the Islamic State Hates" by Laura Reston on newrepublic.com

"Daesh: the Word ISIS Doesn't Want You to Say - and Why Politicians are Using it More than Ever" by Jason Silverstein on nydailynews.com

"Words Matter in 'ISIS' War, so Use 'Daesh'" by Zeba Khan on bostonglobe.com

"What Does Daesh Mean? ISIS 'Threatens to Cut Out the Tongues' of Anyone Using This Word" by Nicola Oakley on mirror.co.uk

DAESH, assholes, DAESH! And if you cut out my tongue, I still have my fingertips so you're going to have to kill me, and even if you kill me, this message is going to remain on the internet until the end of time, so Fuck You!

Nofense, but I thought I already had gone over all that in the first reply in this thread (post #2) back on November 16.  Economy of language is a worthy goal, n'est pas? :P