Mongol Zoog, Mongolian in Arlington Village Center on Columbia Pike and S. Barton Street in South Arlington - Closed

*Really excited to share this!*

According to the internet we have a new Mongolian restaurant!!!! Not Mongolian BBQ (Which was invented by a Taiwanese business person) but the real deal. In my talking with members of the Mongolian community I was told they had tried their hand at the restaurant game before but no one went soooooo lets make sure that doesn't happen again!!! I have yet to go but will do so today or tomorrow and really curious to hear what people think. Just as a warning Mongolian food is very very tough for Americans to take back in my experience. The tastes and flavors are incredibly unusual often soooo just be warned.

The mysterious "Mongol Zoog" is one of the oddest restaurants I've ever heard of. Even to someone living in South Arlington, Arlington Village Shopping Center is virtually unknown - as I type this, I couldn't name one single restaurant or business that it houses.

One exception is what currently resides at the (supposedly) former Mongol Zoog space: Top's China, at 2520 Columbia Pike.

So, did Mongol Zoog ever actually exist? Does Top's China actually house a restaurant? Is this a real shopping center? (It actually is - I've driven past it many times.)

[Cue Twilight Zone music]

Look at the list of closed restaurants in South Arlington - it's as if you're on another planet. I suspect the vast, vast majority of area residents haven't heard of any of them.

So did you ever make it to the new Mongolian restaurant, which I assume is Mongol Nomads? At least that's what I saw on my way to Thai Square tonight. Yelp has one or two reviews that make it seem promisingly interesting, but I know nothing about Mongolian food, so I'm reluctant to try it without guidance.