Rick Eats DC - Rick Chessen's, aka "Pork Belly's," DC Restaurant Blog

Pork Belly

Folks, I've looked at Rick's blog, and like Lori Gardner's, it's one to put on your quick-click list. 

There's nothing more satisfying to me than taking care of one of our own *when they deserve it*, and Rick does.

It's hard to imagine that Pork Belly has only posted here 40 times, because his presence is much "heavier" than that - he's a valued member of this community, and I'll do everything I can to support him. I hope you will, too.

Look, for example, at this fine "Open Letter to Aaron Silverman."

I'm encouraging Rick, like I encouraged Lori, to post here a couple times a month, linking to their blogs in the process - I'm *more* than happy to send them web traffic. They both contribute to this community, and now it's my turn to contribute to them.

22 minutes ago, Pork Belly said:

So glad to read this chain. I thought I was going crazy after reading all the praise heaped on AP's pizza in other forums. Here's my pizza, half of which is the massive outside crust virtually devoid of toppings. I almost always finish what's put in front of me, but those bread bombs were too much to choke down. I also wasn't crazy about the addition of honey to this particular pie -- the combination of honey and tomato sauce was a dead ringer for the Spaghetti-Os of my youth.

IMG_2302

All this earned AP's pizza the title of "most disappointing pizza in DC" in my round-up of DC pizza places.  You can find the entire list here:

"Best Pizza in DC: 2016" by Rick Chessen on rickeatsdc.com

Great list, but I think Wiseguys beats out We the Pizza.

[Sorry I keep moving these posts, but they probably belong here, and I want people to know about Rick's blog.]

Rick, you may want to get some of your friends to retweet this. Your list may not be perfect, but it's *good*, and it's credible - and that's a lot more than I can say for most others.

On 10/28/2016 at 9:59 AM, DanielK said:

Have you been to Pizza CS in Rockville yet? Curious to see where it would fall in your rankings - I would predict in the top 5.

Went today for lunch. I felt like it was almost the opposite of All Purpose. Here, the couple of inches on the crust's outer ring were excellent and as good as anyone's in town. The inner pie crust, however, was exceedingly droopy and lacked any real spotting or char to give it texture. I recognize this is probably classic Neapolitan style, so you can put it down to personal preference. I'd put it in the top ten (and will do so), but for me probably closer to #10 than #5. See pics below for a better sense.

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

On 10/12/2016 at 8:04 AM, DonRocks said:

Look, for example, at this fine "Open Letter to Aaron Silverman."

That's a strong push to people like me to try Rose's and avoid P&P. The thing is, I will never try Rose's because of their no reservations policy (and their popularity, probably well deserved) clashes with my desire to know that when I show up at X time, I'll get my table (I hate waiting - and I don't feel like finding a nearby place to get drinks and wait  - I would rather do it all at my chosen destination). But at least at Rose's I could pick my food - and I would really love to try it.  I was looking forward to P&P and trying it, because I would try his food, but then they went all tasting menu only. And I am pretty much over tasting menus. <sigh>

• Like 1

On 10/29/2016 at 4:48 PM, Pool Boy said:

That's a strong push to people like me to try Rose's and avoid P&P. The thing is, I will never try Rose's because of their no reservations policy (and their popularity, probably well deserved) clashes with my desire to know that when I show up at X time, I'll get my table (I hate waiting - and I don't feel like finding a nearby place to get drinks and wait  - I would rather do it all at my chosen destination). But at least at Rose's I could pick my food - and I would really love to try it.  I was looking forward to P&P and trying it, because I would try his food, but then they went all tasting menu only. And I am pretty much over tasting menus. <sigh>

Tasting menus for someone like me (dines out often, getting older, badly injured) are really a "once-a-month" thing these days - I'd be a blimp if I had them all the time.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 4:48 PM, Pool Boy said:

I felt just about completely opposite about my meal at P&P as Rick did.  I loved all the dishes, I loved the Bunsen burner and other trickery, and I left the meal not only feeling not disappointed, but feeling like a got a great deal.  But I like tasting menus and usually choose them if they're available.  But I don't eat out as much as Don does and could only handle a big meal like this every once in a while.

You should try it Pool Boy!

Probably everyone on this site is a "foodie" -- even if you don't like the term. Here's my story how I came to realize I was different than most of my friends and family and why I don't apologize for my foodie-ism in a world that considers gluttony one of the seven deadly sins.

"My Name Is Rick and I'm a Foodie" by Rick Chessen on rickeatsdc.com

• Like 3