Copperwood Tavern, Local and Seasonal American in Shirlington and Ashburn

Copperwood Tavern Website

I didn't see a thread...

Hubby and I wanted to go to Texas Jack's for July 4th, but they were out of bbq.  So we kept going to Shirlington, which I was a bit hesitant about, but at that point I knew so little was open in VA and Hubby wasn't crossing the border into DC and wouldn't agree to go to Old Town.  He had a decent brunch at Copperwood Tavern the other weekend, and wanted to go there.  I didn't love the menu, I felt it was very heavy for the summertime, and really struggled on what to order.  I settled on a Caesar salad and mussels.  We were brought small corn muffins, on a plate that lacked any character and just made them look like they came from a carton from Giant, the taste wasn't anything special.  My Caesar salad came to the table and was soggy and obviously either made earlier OR the lettuce was not in a condition I would use, it was supposed to have kale in it, but it seemed to have baby greens, which didn't appear to be any type of kale I am familiar with, which added no texture.  It didn't have anything to make it interesting- no capers, no anchovies, no texture.  I ate some of it only because I was starving at that point, and Hubby had a long day working and I just didn't want to make a fuss, he saw that it wasn't great so he gave me a bunch of his brussel sprouts to eat instead, those were better, although I think they needed to be roasted at a slightly higher heat.  My mussels were an appetizer portion, but were good.  The menu didn't note that there was cream in the dish, but it appeared there was and I normally can tolerate a small amount of blue cheese with a pill, but definitely had a reaction to lactose that appeared to be more than just that, I wish that would have been noted, I wouldn't have ordered it. The bread served with the mussels was burnt and hard even where it wasn't burnt.  Hubby got a venison steak which was really good, but for $34 I would have expected some side on the plate, I mean, no offense, but it is deer meat. Anyway, I am sure some people think this place was fine, and July 4 certainly isn't a prime night for a restaurant to be on, but I really would be hard pressed to go back.  I wish we had gone to Carlyle instead.

• Like 2

The owner of Copperwood has a sports bar called Dudley's opening in Shirlington sometime this fall. They're apparently having trouble with getting all of the  permitting, etc., finalized, particularly for their rooftop bar, so the opening keeps being delayed. It's in the space where The Bungalow was at The Village at Shirlington. People were talking about it yesterday at the Nats game and I hadn't seen anything here, so I thought I'd post something. This is the most recent thing a quick search brought up. https://alexandrialivingmagazine.com/food-and-dining/new-sports-bar-in-shirlington-aims-for-august-opening/