Mul Naengmyeon (냉면)

There was a great article about naeng myun in the LA Times. Where's the best place to get the icy, slushy kind? This sounds like a question for Grover.

Yet Gol makes their with homemade noodles and it is pretty incredible. They are in Glenmont SHopping Center: Georgia & Randolph. They also make the version with skate *haven't tried yet( and with the sweet spicy sauce (wonderful).

There was a great article about naeng myun in the LA Times. Where's the best place to get the icy, slushy kind? This sounds like a question for Grover.

Woo Lae Oak in Pentagon City has great naeng myun - both the water (mul) and spicy (bibim naeng myun) kind. The mul naeng myun portions are quite generous and they cut the noodles in your bowl before they serve it. Traditional slices of beef, asian pear and hard-boiled egg are on top. The noodles are served with hot mustard and vinegar on the side. I've also tried the naeng myun at Han Sung Oak in Annandale -very good too. Mul naeng myun's a great summer treat, although some people find it bland. For those folks, the bibim naeng myun is a good alternative (also served cold but with lots of chili and garlic flavor and no broth).

Cold noodle with icy broth is Pyong-Yang style. It comes with very chewy noodle. Spicy cold noodle without broth is Hahm-Hung style. Its noodle is not as chewy as Pyong-Yang style because it contains more buckwheat flour. Actually it was more like winter food tradition in the northern region of Korean peninsula because radish was available around October in early 20 century.

The founder of Woo Lae Oak was from the north west coastal area and Woo Lae Oak is famous for Pyong-Yang style. In Seoul, Woo Lae Oak is the best restaurant for the cold noodle in Pyong-Yang style category. As far as I am concerned, Woo lae Oak in Pentagon city has been closed. I've never been to the Fairfax branch, so I can't tell you how the taste is.

I agreed with sunshine. Han Sung Oak also has very good cold noodle.

Cold noodle with icy broth is Pyong-Yang style. It comes with very chewy noodle. Spicy cold noodle without broth is Hahm-Hung style. Its noodle is not as chewy as Pyong-Yang style because it contains more buckwheat flour.

Grover: I think you got the noodles mixed up. Pyong-yang style noodles are not chewy--it contains more buckwheat flour. You should be able to taste the "wheat" because it contains more buckwheat flour than potato flour--which accounts for the chewiness of the Hahm-Hung style.

Woolae Oak Pentagon City has been closed for awhile. I don't think they plan to open it in the immediate future. IMO, Woolae Oak in Tysons serves the best Pyong-yang style noodles in town. As for Hahm-Hyung, I have yet to find a place that serves the real deal. Best bet, fly to Seoul and go to Oh-jang dong! :angry:

On 6/21/2018 at 1:15 PM, Escoffier said:

Must have gotten lost in the mail... :) We're always happy to help others experience Korean food.  Don't be afraid to just point if something looks good (or interesting).  At places like To Sok Jip, you're going to run into a minor language problem and you'll discover that true Korean food service has absolutely NO connection to American service. Korean service may seem a bit abrupt if you're not used to it, don't take it personally, most Korean restaurants are small and the idea is to feed you and get you on your way.

Here's a question now that it's summer: what place in Annandale (or, I suppose Centreville) has the best mul naengmyeon? I've had a few around town, so I know what I like and don't, but I do wonder if any is "authentic".

If To Sok Jip made one, I'd probably assume they would (I really like their bori yeolmu bibimbap), but since they don't, I refer to the experts.

On 6/21/2018 at 2:27 PM, TheMatt said:

Here's a question now that it's summer: what place in Annandale (or, I suppose Centreville) has the best mul naengmyeon? I've had a few around town, so I know what I like and don't, but I do wonder if any is "authentic".

If To Sok Jip made one, I'd probably assume they would (I really like their bori yeolmu bibimbap), but since they don't, I refer to the experts.

If you don't mind traveling out of Annandale, Woo Lae Oak in Tyson's Corner.  If you want to stay in Annandale, Han Gang would be the next best.

---

Mul Naengmyeon, Baltimore - (DonRocks)