Maiwand Grill, a Maryland-Based Afghan Chain in Baltimore, with its Original Location in Burtonsville, MD

On 2/13/2007 at 6:08 PM, synaesthesia said:

It's been a while since I've been to Maiwand Grill, but this place had some great kabobs and pumpkin. I don't know if this is connected to the Maiwand Kabob in Columbia, but this is near Cuba de Ayer.

Reaching into the past here, but there's a Maiwand Grill with locations in Baltimore and Burtonsville, which seems to be unaffiliated with Maiwand Kabob (5 area locations) as far as I can tell.

That said, the Maiwand Grill in Baltimore City is a fantastic restaurant. The hummus and pumpkin with ground beef were on point, and the kabob entrees are amazing deals for the amount and quality of food (~$10 with bread, rice, salad, and spicy green chutney). The kofta kabob and chicken malai (marinated in sour cream and butter with ginger, garlic and fresh coriander leaves) kabobs I tried are incredibly tender and flavorful. The chicken malai, in particular, is dry grilled but still juicy, with a nice mild herby flavor that pairs great with the chutney. Definitely will be my go to whenever I'm in the Hippodrome/Royal Farms Arena area.

From the Washington DC Restaurants and Dining Forum:

On 2/13/2007 at 6:08 PM, synaesthesia said:

It's been a while since I've been to Maiwand Grill, but this place had some great kabobs and pumpkin. I don't know if this is connected to the Maiwand Kabob in Columbia, but this is near Cuba de Ayer.

From the Baltimore Restaurants and Dining Forum (just above):

9 hours ago, Shaho said:

Reaching into the past here, but there's a Maiwand Grill with locations in Baltimore and Burtonsville, which seems to be unaffiliated with Maiwand Kabob (5 area locations) as far as I can tell.

That said, the Maiwand Grill in Baltimore City is a fantastic restaurant. The hummus and pumpkin with ground beef were on point, and the kabob entrees are amazing deals for the amount and quality of food (~$10 with bread, rice, salad, and spicy green chutney). The kofta kabob and chicken malai (marinated in sour cream and butter with ginger, garlic and fresh coriander leaves) kabobs I tried are incredibly tender and flavorful. The chicken malai, in particular, is dry grilled but still juicy, with a nice mild herby flavor that pairs great with the chutney. Definitely will be my go to whenever I'm in the Hippodrome/Royal Farms Arena area.

This can be very confusing, especially because we use the Howard-Montgomery County Border (Patuxent River) to separate our Baltimore Forum and our Washington DC Forum. Fasten your seat belts:

* The above two restaurants, despite being in different Forums, are both Maiwand Grill, and are the same company.
* The Baltimore location is in our Baltimore City Dining Guide, and the Burtonsville location is in our Maryland Dining Guide in the Washington DC Forum.
* Only the Baltimore location offers delivery which isn't by a separate company.
* Oddly, I'll be less than a mile from the Baltimore location just a few hours from now.

* Maiwand Kabob is a Columbia-based Afghan restaurant, with a separate ownership. This can be found in Baltimore's Multiple Locations Dining Guide

* Maiwand is a village in the Maywand District, in the Kandahar Province of Afghanistan, and is best-known for the Battle of Maiwand in 1880.

Now things get confusing:

* In 2017, Maiwand Grill opened The Kabul Fresh Grill on 55 W. Market Street (near the Inner Harbor). However, their website is not working. 

* Apparently unrelated to anything, there is yet another Maiwand Grill in Northeast Adams Morgan in Washington, DC.

• Thanks 1