Crystal Thai - Off Route 50 in Arlington Forest Shopping Center in West Arlington

25 minutes ago, arlingtonkabob said:

Mmm Crystal Thai has some of the best Panaang Curry Chicken I've ever had

Wow, I haven't dined at Crystal Thai in a long time - years. I remember that they were reliable, but used to be on the "sweet" end of the flavor spectrum - however, that was too long ago to make any assumptions today.

One thing that caught my eye is their "Thai Street Food" section - some of these dishes are unusual for this area, and that may be a good place to start when ordering.

As you're driving west on Route 50, Arlington Forest Shopping Center is that white shopping center with red lettering on some of the stores (Outback Steakhouse is what you probably notice the most).

6 minutes ago, DonRocks said:

I remember that they were reliable, but used to be on the "sweet" end of the flavor spectrum

Some of their dishes still are on the sweeter side (The sweet and sour chicken was almost like eating pure candy 😣) The Street food I have had the boat noodle soup and Sukiyaki which are very good, I'm just a sucker for Panaang Curry

• Like 1

I've been a regular go-er here for years and years.  They always plop my usual drink down before we order.

My favorites: 

• chicken satay
  • fried tofu appetizer
  • wonton soup
  • mussels (although would like them to add a bit of coconut milk in the broth)
  • goong pad eggplant (flash-fried eggplant, shrimp, Thai basil, peppers with a great sauce)
  • red curry (love the sauce here)
  • pad see ew with beef (outstanding!)

Husband's favorites:

• Crystal Thai Fried Rice
  • Drunken Noodles
  • Pad Lard Na Talay

I should venture out beyond my usuals and try the new dishes but I am happy with these.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2007 at 10:45 AM, smiller said:

I'm looking for the best Thai restaurant in the DC-area. Any suggestions?

I'm probably alone on this one, but I like Crystal Thai in Arlington Forest shopping center, next to Outback.  Granted, I always get the same couple of things there so don't know if other dishes are good or not.  We get:  goong pad eggplant, pad see ew with beef, tofu tod, drunken spaghetti, Crystal fried rice, red curry chicken.  Staff is very welcoming and they have fun decorations for various holidays:  Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Valentine's Day, etc.🙂

On 7/31/2020 at 9:28 AM, hopsing said:

I'm probably alone on this one, but I like Crystal Thai in Arlington Forest shopping center, next to Outback.  Granted, I always get the same couple of things there so don't know if other dishes are good or not.  We get:  goong pad eggplant, pad see ew with beef, tofu tod, drunken spaghetti, Crystal fried rice, red curry chicken.  Staff is very welcoming and they have fun decorations for various holidays:  Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, Valentine's Day, etc.🙂

I was hungry and in the area so I stopped by Crystal Thai. Very quiet at 3:30pm on a Monday during a pandemic, oddly enough.   😉

I had tried to work my way through the street food menu when I used to live nearby but hadn't had the boat noodle soup, so I ordered it. Very fragrant, tasted rich and flavorful. It had a nice amount of meat balls and chunks of beef, plus the pork cracklings, bean sprouts and the medium sized sen lek noodles I asked for. Not sure what the garnish was, I think it was royal basil. This version didn't seem to have beef blood and it was good without it.

It is a solid version of the classic.

CrystalThaiBoatNoodle.jpg

• Like 3