Eden Center roaming dinner

3 hours ago, Smita Nordwall said:

Desperately need the expertise of this group. I am taking a handful of newbies to Eden Center for a roaming dinner. Where should we go and what do we order? 

Banh Xeo at Rice Paper will happen, but what else? HELP!!

Its been a minute since I have been to Eden Center, but it entirely depends on how adventurous you and your group are, and once you are there, what do you order? DC Eater featured Can Eden Center Keep up with the Changing Appetites of Millenials, written by Tierney Plum, 9-5-17. The Vietnamese spots that the article featured I recognize as some of my go tos. I am ashamed to admit my Vietnamese is not that good, but I know there are shops that are a must. No trip is complete to the DMV, without a stop at Eden when I am in town. There are go to places that I always visit, but do not  know the  name for them.   I'd be happy to follow up with any rec's that I have once I have done the proper homework to translate them in Vietnamese. I am certain as well,  this group will lead you in the right direction. 

• Thanks 1

Banh Cuon Thang Long for banh cuon

Nhu Lan for banh mi

The tofu place for lemongrass tofu

Huong Viet for grilled beef stuffed with grape leaves and a broken rice dish

Little Viet Garden for bun cha

Little Sheep Hot Pot is fun for a group but it's a lot of food and unless you practice extreme restraint in ordering, you will not be roaming anywhere after that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll also add I like the Com Ga Hai Nam (Hainan chicken) at Eden Center, but I do see that Pho Va has one now as well so I need to try it.

Thanh Son Tofu is not just for their tofu (lemongrass, of course). They do a really good xoi man (sticky rice with chicken and Chinese sausage) and just one serving is enough for many if you're sharing. And I think they have the best che in Eden Center, though one I had at Kim Phung Bakery was pretty yummy. 

Phu Quy Deli Delight has a great variety of beef jerky, makes a great sugarcane juice, and people seem to like the Lee's coffee there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, eatruneat said:

The tofu place for lemongrass tofu

I'd advise each person getting one small piece of each from Thanh Son Tofu: The lemongrass is more superficial; the mushroom has much more umami and is my preference - I suspect most will agree. Go straight to the line on the left (you can skip the line on the right entirely), and get your entire group's order in two bags - it's surprisingly inexpensive.

• Thanks 1